Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windows 10 inciting GBH

It's probably technically possible but might be a pain in the *** to get working depending on how new the machine is.

If you're after a win 7 box maybe give tier1 a ring and see if they have any - had a few laptops off them in the past, decent service and not bad £ (tier1onine.com I think)

No 'new' ThinkPad will run Window 7.... Not very well anyway. Your best bet to stay with win7 is going to be a refurbished laptop, made pre 2017

I guess there is one war Russia is set to win

1674143757350.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess there is one war Russia is set to win

View attachment 328515

For about 20 years, theyve said each year is the year of the Linux desktop. Kind of given up on that now.

Apple & developer geeks can use Apple Mac / osx.
Other geeks can use Linux
Those who only need a web browser + basic productivity apps can use a chromebook.
Most other people are stuck with windows!

Windows was user friendly and now but now its run by flesh eating zombie borgs .

My toughbook spare must be near 20 years old and works fine but i hate the keyboard , was just about to read up on what a chiclet keyboard is and see if i might replace mine .

Edit $150 from USA and is identical to the keyboard i got :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
I love the brick the keys just have too much travel so i have to correct missed letters/spaces in every sentence . Not as bad as touchscreen but annoying .

I asked my daughter to give me a phone book. She laughed at me, called me a boomer and lent me her iPhone. So, the spider is dead, her iPhone is broken and my daughter is furious....

You could beat a burglar to death with a toughbook without even closing the lid or losing your place in the text because your cursor would still be on it .
This is the kind of tech that impresses me :lol:

The toughbooks are great for what they are designed for. As you know they're often used for techstream (or equivalent) - they're brilliant for that kind of thing! Not sure I could stand one as my main computer though!

I remember some that didn't even run windows!

Hence my interest in Thinkpads which are supposed to be military spec metal body drop and spill resistant .

Upgrading a new one to win7 might well bugger up the quarter of a million processes per second that no normal person wants or needs and let it function like a laptop which actually belongs to the person who bought it .

I jumped ship to MAC's/Ipads years ago but still have my Dad's old laptop running W7 and runs fine with some non networking programs that aren't available/compatible with IOS. The laptop is comparatively slow if used for inet browsing, which I never do anyway, plus I get prompts to upgrade for free to W10 but they can feck off!
We used Panasonic Toughbooks for proper outdoor "field" use for years when I was working, heavy and expensive but lived up to their name. Eventually they were replaced with standard "desk" laptops for cost reasons but they weren't up to the same use and probably cost more in repairs long term.

Toughbook CF-52 mark 3

Graphics aren't great so when you have 3 pages one on top of other it might hang showing half and half for a few seconds is all .

Upgradable to 500gb SSD and 8gb of ram over 120 and 4 but i don't think i'd get any benefit that matters to me and its just the keyboard i can't get on with .

It came to me from a skip with no operating system , kid asked if i could fix it for him and never returned for it . I think originally it was XP 32bit .

Last edited:
I had a Windows update almost brick my work laptop - had to disable secure boot in the BIOS to get back in. This is on a UEFI machine though.

Toughbook CF-52 mark 3
Graphics aren't great so when you have 3 pages one on top of other it might hang showing half and half for a few seconds is all .
Upgradable to 500gb SSD and 8gb of ram over 120 and 4 but i don't think i'd get any benefit that matters to me and its just the keyboard i can't get on with .
That's a decent laptop, but 4G ram is no good on win7. 8 GB would make it usable, absolutely worth the upgrade. 120 G disk is supposedly SSD - If yes, then OK if it covers your storage needs.

I'm currently using win10 on most computers. The latest windows update (1 week ago) disables the internet explorer, which makes the LandCruiser FSM inop. I've managed by killing the "convert to Edge"-process, but it looks like I will have to run the FSM om a Win7 PC (or older) in the future.

My posh now broken laptop has a 1TB ssd and 16gb of ram that will physically fit into the old toughbook .

Temptation is there to give it a go but i fear i might fry my old reliable just for curiosities’ sake .

Back