Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winter slowly coming

We've not covered the huge benefits of fitting Hilux washer jets / nozzels / nipples :oops: :) ;) as yet :D

Infact the last time the whole freezing screen washers topic came up it went to nine pages :shock: :lol: :lol:

Infact the same topic on PradoPoint went to 21 pages :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I built a heat exchanger that fits into the heater hose adjacent to the top of the bulkhead. It only takes a few minutes to warm the water enough to provide decent cleaning ability. I also use Halfords anti-freeze screen wash. If the next winter starts to look ominous, I might go the whole hog and fit heated jets.

Roger

hi guys
nice ideas and something to be considered.
I know it has to be a common problem.
I just hated last winter even when i could get liquid onto my windscreen it froze straight away while driving leaving me with a sheet of ice which then had to be scraped off at the side of the road after stopping for the tenth time.
The engine coolant that we use in the radiator would that work and not eat away at anything including the paintwork.

landcruiserjohnb said:
The engine coolant that we use in the radiator would that work and not eat away at anything including the paintwork.
It'd be cheaper to use Tesco's own neat Vodka than Yota Pink Coolant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

landcruiserjohnb said:
hi guys
nice ideas and something to be considered.
I know it has to be a common problem.
I just hated last winter even when i could get liquid onto my windscreen it froze straight away while driving leaving me with a sheet of ice which then had to be scraped off at the side of the road after stopping for the tenth time.

Engine coolant anti-freeze would probably damage paintwork.

Roger

Just buy decent spec anti freeze for your washer jets.

As an example, these two were left out overnight

IMAG0385.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm gonna get some pipe and try the extending the washer pipe around heater hose mod . as well as cutting the sound deadening away ..
i was using halfords expensive washer fluid last year and it still froze solid .. When i did get water out of the nozzles it froze onto the wipers ...
Hopefully warm water is the way forward
It was -17 at night here for 2weeks and -8 during the day
I quite enjoy a clear screen

would it be worth it coming out of the washer bottle then wrapping around the top hose then upto the heater hose around them and then onto the jets ?

Any benefit in heating the water closer to the bottle?

Probably would be - i found that that bottle had not frozen - bit slushy perhaps but theres enough heat from the engine and the bottle is out of the wind so no wind chill either.

You could try option one - the wrap like i did and if that does not do the trick work on incorporating the washer bottle as well?

Back