Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiring/Starter/12V conversion help

I would think it’s going to be very long lived Frank. I think the 12v ones are less than the 4.5kw 24v version but not half, I can’t remember but aren’t they something like 3kw? Generally the higher the voltage the greater the ability to arc (all separating contacts will arc to some degree). Couple this with Chris’s inspection of a used 12v solenoid to find the contacts in excellent condition and I think yours should be fine.

Starcruiser/Rich and Chris. You were right and thanks for tolerating my stupidity.

It works. The fusible link to the LH battery (which I had removed) had dropped down to where the 24V relay had been. I had convinced myself that is where it had been attached, did a couple of checks and ignored it.

This was the offending article. I think as the gauge of the wire was small compared to the wire going into the starter relay I didnt think they were connected. Anyway a continuity test proved otherwise.

Anyway, at least I got a nice electrical manual out of the operation. Thanks Firewout.

Ok back to what Im good at now lol and leave the electrics alone. View attachment 150377

This post just saved me many more hours searching for the cause. I had a dodgy connection extending the fusible link. Replaced it with a crimp connector and fired straight away.

Thanks!

9030E43D-BFED-406E-BD80-15443A21AF77.jpeg

The 12v starters are lower wattage Frank, circa 3.0 or 3.5 kW IIRC? The 24v are 4.5 kW.

I did convert a HDJ 100 12v starter that I carry as a spare and that is 3.0 kW. I cannot remember the wattage of the 'proper' 12v starter but did put up the specs when I did the conversion many years ago.

regards

Dave

Back