Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wynns EGR3

fridayman

Garage
Has anyone used this stuff? I have just emptied a can into my inlet (after the air filter, but pre-turbo because I was in a hurry). Took it for a 5 minute spin and the engine seems smoother/quieter but could just be in my head... I will check the mpg on the next tank of diesel and see if it did anything. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had any good results with this stuff.

joinerman said:
Two stroke will give the same result.

You mean clean the inlet manifold/egr, or make the motor quieter? Or both...?

Make the motor run smoother & quieter & help clean things up.

Cptsideways said:
As well as making your engine diesel its brains out! DO NOT TRY THIS
Presume your comment relates to pouring 2stroke into the intake?
I think Joinerman was referring to putting 2stroke in with the diesel, which has been well-proven to do no harm.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
2-stroke / fuel injector cleaner / etc are to clean the "wet" or diesel side. This EGR3 is to clean the "dry" or air side of the intake system which gets polluted over time by the egr. Both (air side and fuel side cleaners) might lead to a smoother/quieter engine, but they are not the same.

IMO any fluid in the inlet (air) side of the engine is a recipe for disaster.

How would a clean EGR make for a quieter engine? Thinking back from when I took mine apart, it is a valve that diverts exhaust into the intake. It was caked, which I cleaned but I don't recall any change in engine. IIRC, the cacked side of things is only on the exhaust side so not like the deposits would restrict normal air flow?

I don't think it is the egr being clean that has made the difference. This stuff goes right through into the combustion chamber, so passes through the throttle body and inlet manifold too. It's in the throttle body and inlet manifold where the most crud tends to build up.

Apart from feeling slightly smoother/quieter, it looks like it may have restored some of my mpg too. It's still a bit early to tell as I've only done a quarter tank since the treatment, but it is looking good atm.

If you take the inlet manifold off it will be caked in black oily sooty deposits from the EGR valve into the engine.

I've not bothered cleaning one on a 90, but on the 24v 80 and 100 series engines you need sharp scrapers, a lot of patience and then a stack of degreaser to clean the crud out.

By the time you get up to 180-200k miles you can do it by hand....see below from a 24 valve 80....
KenJordan%2520002.jpg

KenJordan%2520003.jpg

and..
KenJordan%2520005.jpg

Unless there is some sort of monumental chemical reaction, I cannot see how any chemical pored into an inlet manifold will be able to shift the crud.

Julian Voelcker said:
Unless there is some sort of monumental chemical reaction, I cannot see how any chemical pored into an inlet manifold will be able to shift the crud.
And if it could shift/loosen the crud, where is the crud going to go? :shock:
Maybe this Wynns stuff helps remove trace deposits and prevent the build-up starting but if the build-up is severe it looks like the only solution is to remove and clean by hand away from your engine.

After scraping plenty of burnt bitumen like substance out of numerous Transit mainifolds I can attest to Julians pictures and opinions of chemical cleaners claiming to do this job.
Thermite, maybe C4 and possibly black powder, all "chemicals" that would possibly remove it but unfortunately not available either at Hellfrauds or in aerosol format.

Back