Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

X Lights

Julian

XEng Xlights Has anybody got any or used any? What did you think of them?

I believe Chris will be over in a sec with his ravings about them ;)

I have some that I've never used! Chris has some that he used and seemed to like.

Jon, do you happen to know what sort of bulbs do they use?
How come you haven't used them?

Sorry, it's not like I just sit here waiting for questions you know. Like, I mean occasionally I even go downstairs and watch telly or sumfink.

Yes, I have a set of 4 X-Lites. Very nicely made. They use a 12v 2 pin sealed lamp unit. You can buy cheap ones for 50p each. There are two basic types equating to spot or flood. In all honestly, not a massive difference between them. The light from them is quite unique. If you want to drive across desert at 90 mph at night, then go and buy some ridiculous lamps off a lighthouse. But in trees, lanes etc these lights are excellent. You can really see colour. They don't throw a harsh shadow or cut off, they just light up everything in front of you. I shall be mounting mine again onto my new rack when it comes. If you break a lens - 50p and you're sorted!

Best lamps are to be had from an electrical wholesaler really. Rough service ones for lifts are pretty good. Or from X Eng themselves. I got mine at Tesco.

C
Should have added these
IMGP3711.jpg

IMGP3714.jpg

IMGP3721.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AFAIK they're ordinary domestic halogen units. I haven't remembered what I thought I was going to do with mine yet :? I seem to be collecting spot lights for some reason :roll:

I was kind of asking for a little bit of a project idea, was thinking about retro fitting some of the new age high power led bulbs in them

Ahh, hmm. Well the X Lites don't have any focusing ability. They are merely a device for holding the lamp. Now if you have some LED units that you think "Wow these are bright" then go for it. We bought some of those for the hall and I thought my eyes had been poked out. They were rubbish. I would not have put them on the truck. What you see is what you get.

The standard lamps have a reflector built in and that's what does the business. Not the lamp holder.

C

Know Si at X-eng well- he works very very hard to support his customers and his products are usually very interesting and innovative and invariably designed inhouse (bar things like batteries etc).

His X-lights have been around, must be at least 4 years (jez can you remember when he first put them on LR4x4?) and they have really good feedback- they are especially good for illuminating to the rear of trucks- although easily bright enough for the front too- the bulbs are cheap, can be had in all sorts of brightness.

Here's another thread resurextion. X - get it? Oh well.

I finally got round to fitting my X Lites onto my 80. Went pretty well other than I had to make a completely new loom due to the heat from welding the new brackets on had fried the old one. I did try to be careful and though that I had done it without damage. Uhhurrr! Melted into a solid lump.

Remember that this shot was take in daylight on an i phone. When you look into them they are blinding. I mounted them on a tube bolted to the rack. The AO roof rack has loads of bolt slots in it so you can fasten stuff to it all over the place. Very handy.

Rooftop.jpg

Here's a lovely close up. These are old bulbs and two of them are actually broken. So amazing that they still work. As they are sealed and disposable, they can be replaced in a minute - and for about 50p!

Closeup.jpg

Chris

I while back bought four of these, but the ones that are adjustable vertically and horizontaly, . . . yet to be fitted :oops: , from your pics they look very good :thumbup: , what, if any spill is there on the bonnet? as the bulb sits inside the housing I was hoping it would be much less than the spots I have on the roof at the moment :thumbdown:
Chas

None. Zip, Zilch. Nada. Not a sausage. $%7* all.

Chris

Chris said:
Um, there must be a bit because we can see them reflected in the bonnet in the first photo :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Chris said:
Um, there must be a bit because we can see them reflected in the bonnet in the first photo :mrgreen:
I don't think that's 'bounce' that reflection would still be seen even if the spots were turned off.
Chas

Cossack said:
I don't think that's 'bounce' that reflection would still be seen even if the spots were turned off.
You can clearly see the illuminated lights in the reflection Chas and the only way for that to happen is if light from them is hitting that spot on the bonnet i.e. spill onto the bonnet illuminating that spot. Very hard to avoid with roof lights and the X lights should be better than most but there is *some* light spilling onto the bonnet from them ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Cossack said:
You can clearly see the illuminated lights in the reflection Chas and the only way for that to happen is if light from them is hitting that spot on the bonnet i.e. spill onto the bonnet illuminating that spot. Very hard to avoid with roof lights and the X lights should be better than most but there is *some* light spilling onto the bonnet from them ;)
That's not necessarily true, the reflection of lights could still be seen to be 'on' even if the beam of light itself was not hitting the surface that they were reflected in, the reflection seen may just be from the inside of the body of the spotlight, admittedly that is spill, but it would be very little by the time it reached the bonnet (at least that is what I'm hoping will happen when I fit mine) :pray:
Chas

I'm sure it's not a lot Chas I just thought it was funny when there's photo evidence :)

Jon, on so many occasions you are absolutely right. But on this occasion, there is a part of the picture that you don't have. That shine on the bonnet is actually the lights reflecting off the glass on my porch, shining back at the car . When you sit in the drivers seat there are 4 clear lamps on the bonnet and and as you back off the drive they disappear. There is no reflection off the bonnet. If you look at the picture again very carefully, you can see TWO sets of lights. On one, the top set, you can just about see a light but the second set is actually a bizarre reflection.

Now, do the lights light up the bonnet? Well of course, they light up the road for some distance, but they do not reflect as such or bounce. I have had that before and it's very annoying. But not this time. They are set far enough back on the roof to be shielded by the front section above the windscreen.

Chris

Well there's no point me debating what the pic shows any further because I don't have the full data. Chas just asked if there was spill and you say there is which really was the point ;)

Back