Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yet another 80 build thread

Either take the wing off or find a child. Which is what I did by the way.

On the water issue, I've just done 6 days down to BK and back washing up every day, drinking quite a bit of tea and coffee - I was frugal but not OCD about it. My tank is somewhere around 57 litres and ran it empty today into a bucket(s). Filled a 2 gallon bucket twice before it ran out. If you fill it when ever you can on a longer trip then 40-50 litres of water for most people would be enough to survive on between sources I think.

I have a submersible pump and hose so I can fill it from a lake or some such or by using jugs bought in a supermarket.

So today I've cut into my wing to fit a Snorkel but how the hell do I reach those bolts:
View attachment 156878

I can just about reach all the others but I can't see a way of reaching those holes to fit the bolts on? It's a cheap eBay snorkel anyone got any fitting tips?
Use rivnuts.

@chapel gate you have to put the nut on from the back as the bolt doesn't go through the snorkel its captive in the snorkel. I'm going to have to find someone with very skinny arms as like f*ck I'm taking the wing off.

ive not fit one before steve but jsnt there any holes on the inner wing

@Chris thanks for confirming that 50 litres of water should be enough. I've always got a Jerry can, if I need another 20l between sources as well. Just need someone with tiny arms, the wife is refusing to do it as it's 'dirty'.

@stumog meh its only two bolts, leave them did cross my mind I must admit, but was hoping someone was going to have a super useful and have an easy method to get to them.

@karl webster there are a few gaps but you need to bend your arm like 90 degrees to be able to get to those last two.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Using a telescopic magnet you would get to the holes through the gap with the door open.

They are a nightmare to get in. Mine has had a l9ad of mis use and not had a issue. I do think it was only the 1 I left out not 2.

I took the wing off on both the cruiser and the hilux. Struggled for ages and in the end the wing isnt that bad to get off

With regards to water capacity, rule of thumb for extreme heat, say 40degrees in the sahara, is 7.5l per person per day and carry 3 days reserve. So for a 6 day trip you would need 135l for 2 people. In temperate climates you can almost halve that

3 people in the Western Sahara in April, including a certain overlanding celebratory on a motorbike, we carried 50 litres of water for 3 days with 2 days contingency but it was only 30 degrees and we had the locations of a few wells as waypoints. Carrying large quantities isn't necessary when you can fill up regularly.

steve. bring it with you at the weekend and we will sort it. Ill bring my ct1 just incase we struggle lol

I had the wing off mine a few months ago to replace the door hinge and it wasn't too bad a job

I'll have a fight with it on Thursday and if I lose, I'll bring it to the meetup. No idea how to get the wing off btw.

It's just bolts Steve. Inside the wing, in the door reveal, along the inside of the bonnet and some under the front scuttle.

I've taped bolts to welding/solder wire before and fished them through.
There is a small access panel on the inner wing housing a relay, might be to far forward though. There's also the side indicator hole.
I've done a dry run through the door gap and it's possible:)

I've actually glued nuts and bolts to my finger tips before now. Not as easy on this application because they're not bolts but studs and nuts. Taking the wing off of course might reveal a host of horrors you'd have been better off not seeing.

I've actually glued nuts and bolts to my finger tips before now. Not as easy on this application because they're not bolts but studs and nuts. Taking the wing off of course might reveal a host of horrors you'd have been better off not seeing.
That's what I was thinking. If it hasn't been removed before the seam sealer will still be intact. It's better leaving it that way sometimes...

Back