Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yet another Oil thread. Anyone else buying in bulk?

womble_

Country Flag
england
I've see a few deals on ebay where sellers are offering 20L bottles of oil.
They don't have all the glitz of the retail ones so I don't know how to work out if they'll be ok.

I have a 1HZ with 470k kms on the clock, so it doesn't need to be fancy...

i've got my eye on:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261236156769 20L of 5w-30 for £55 (£2.75 per L)

I put shell in last time and it cost me £7.5 per litre.

Try Morris's Multivis. Excellent oil, no wear at all on my BEBs with 70,000 miles in the UK after import from Japan. Morris's may do you a deal on a bigger can or a box but you may be able to get it local to you. I sometimes buy a box of four 5L cans. It's got a very good reputation around here as have Morris's generally.

I always buy 25 litre containers. Keep meaning to get 200 litre barrel but never seem to get round to it.

Propower lubricants is what i use. Local motor factor sell it.

Last edited:
I had to buy my first engine oil in years for my last change that came in at £45 for 20l which is not bad but does mean you can't get 2 changes out of it.

Try Morris's Multivis. Excellent oil, no wear at all on my BEBs with 70,000 miles in the UK after import from Japan. Morris's may do you a deal on a bigger can or a box but you may be able to get it local to you. I sometimes buy a box of four 5L cans. It's got a very good reputation around here as have Morris's generally.

I used Morris oils years ago (Blue and Yellow cans IIRC?), only ever heard good stuff about them.

regards

Dave

If you but oil for the 80 from Toyota they are recommending a much thinner grade than the original. Does that mean we can all start putting thinner oil in?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've noticed there is a choice with Morris's but I'm sure I've read on here it makes them tick.

I've see a few deals on ebay where sellers are offering 20L bottles of oil.
They don't have all the glitz of the retail ones so I don't know how to work out if they'll be ok.

I have a 1HZ with 470k kms on the clock, so it doesn't need to be fancy...

i've got my eye on:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261236156769 20L of 5w-30 for £55 (£2.75 per L)

I put shell in last time and it cost me £7.5 per litre.

With that mileage I would put 15/40 mineral oil and change it every 4.5-5K. We have trucks with 7-800k on them and have never used semi synth yet' ( I know yours is petrol but the same applies IMO )

Frank, Interesting... What spec are Toyota recommending?
StarCrusier, Thanks - I just put some Morris in the gearbox. although they seem to have quite a few grades. there is a 25L barrel on ebay, but its more expensive (per litre) than 4x5L.

AndycruiserGuy..... I think you might be on the money. I might have been over doing it with fully synth fancy stuff. Australian spec say every 5000Kms, which i have done for the last 130,000 kms.

i'll let you know what i end up with.

If you contact Morris's or one of their local dealers they will tell you what the vehicle needs by number plate. They will probably be able to do better deals in person/on the phone and more likely on the smaller cans in multiples, which actually is easier to store and pour and you don't stand the chance of getting contaminants like you can in an open bigger drum.

If you but oil for the 80 from Toyota they are recommending a much thinner grade than the original. Does that mean we can all start putting thinner oil in?

NO and that is a definite NO with very good reason!

There appears to be a rationalisation of stock holding at Toyota dealerships in Spain and I do not see the UK being any different.

The oil they (Toyota) recommend for the 80 is quite thin anyway at 10/30 or 10/40 which is freely available, it is also common knowledge that as an engine wears then tolerances increase and you can move up a grade.

Toyota used to keep a full range of oils, 0/30, 5/30, 10/30. 10/40 15/40.

This was recently reduced to 5/30 and 10/40 and this was all that was left in the Toyota dealership near me in Spain, it also seems that to rationalise even further the 0/30 for everything is on the way! So back track a few years and a customer came in complaining of a ticking noise from his Toyota truck D-4D, it sounded like a tappet or a valve seat was loose? I asked when it was last serviced,and he proudly announced only the previous week by a Toyota dealership, he produced the paperwork as evidence. Looking through the receipt I noticed the engine had been filled with 10/40 oil, there is a not exactly small sticker in red and black right on top of the rocker cover clearly stating ONLY 15/40 oil to be used.

There was no noise when he took it in but heard it the moment he turned the key when collecting the vehicle, he switched off and queried with the service manager, he declared it was nothing and it was normal. The noise continued and Toyota kept fobbing him off, until he finally brought it to me.

Now I did not just go there and complain, before I did I checked valve clearances, leaking injector seals, and everything I could to locate the noise, a chat with another mechanic pointed out that one of the noises can be attributed to a small amount of oil being held in the crosshatch on the cylinders, if thin oil was used it could pass the scraper ring, the thicker oil stopped this from happening. The thinner oil caused the diesel equivalent to a petrol engine 'pinking', a pre detonation of hot oil on the cylinder walls. I did query this theory as the noise was there cold or hot.

Myself and the owner with the truck returned to the dealership, my Spanish being a little more than the customers, the customer spoke none so that don't mean much!

Having the LC for a few years and in general purchased most of my own parts from their parts department, it was not unusual that the service manager would be doing double duty and would serve me so a friendship had been struck up. When I queried this error the answer was a shrug of the shoulders and an apology, Toyota were happy that it was 'unlikely' to cause damage! Not happy with this we purchased a new OE filter and went to the local BP and put the 15/40 oil, changed the lot and started up, no tick and a new customer.

Manufacturers (including Toyota) rarely specify just the ONE oil for their engines but the D-D4 seems (well in Spain) to be the exception.

The customer returned to the UK a few months ago but his remaining time here he never had another problem. This IMO is a simple cost cutting exercise by Toyota, and if an engine went bang how would the average guy in the street be able to attribute it to the wrong oil. Going back to the service manager I got the impression he was under some form of duress to come up with a viable excuse for the mechanic ignoring the sticker, even the mechanic who I knew just pointed me in the direction of the managers office, everyone very non committal.

I use a typical Repsol 10/40 Tdi oil, and for the last few (5 or 6?) oil changes a Bosch P 2062 filter, oil is clean, engine does not smoke, everything is fine at just under 240,000 miles.

Use the oil that is in the service book, or marked on the air filter canister, it has been fine for the last 20 years, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Just my 0.2 cents.

regards

Dave

Just to add to that last post, many will recall the trials and tribulations I had when obtaining the correct oil for my manual gearbox? I asked Castrol UK tech and they do NOT recommend VMX which many claim is great, so I posed the same question to am Australian Castrol tech...use VMX WTF!!!!

Best to stick with the book IMO AND IME.

regards

Dave

Your oil is clean when you drop it dave?

Your oil is clean when you drop it dave?

First I am a tad anal when it comes to oil changes, rarely over 5,000 miles or six months so the word 'clean' is a little speculative, my last oil change coincidently last weekend was under 3 000 miles, the car was worked hard during the 40 degree heat here so it was done. As a guide though, my oil does not stain the skin in the same way that oil from a typical modern cars does after 1 year and 10,000 miles. When I dip the oil I can see right through it to the markings on the dip stick, many say that their oil goes black immediately after an oil change, mine is as clean as it goes in.

regards

Dave

Damn! EDIT function playing up again, just checked my MUD thread as I use it as my service record as well and the oil change was at 2,400 miles covered in the last six months, mileage was @ 239,282.

regards

Dave

I change mine like clockwork every 5000, but im in the goes black pretty quick camp..

Todays Toyota Part Number for the 80 is 08880-80845 "5W/30 fuel economy engine oil". I use Morris's "15W/40 Servol Performance Plus engine oil". This is a handy oil as it is suitable for older petrol engines as well.

My oil is pretty clean after 4500 miles change.

My book says 5w30 ...

Exactly! Why keep oil in stock for older vehicles that are unlikely to be taken to the dealership for a service?

With your 'modern' vehicle you will be fine.

regards

Dave

Back