Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

your help would be very welcome to a newbie

dr siddeley

Oh woe is me,picked up our new [to us] colorado [02] from the dealers [a jaguar dealership the CL had been a trade in] all seamed fine except the temp guage was a bit slow to rise,then the feeling all was not well,so a closer look was needed,the cam belt replacment and a sevice was part of the deal [87,000mls] but i was suspicious that a proper service had been done,so i went to toyota and had them lookat it [£50],they said to not drive it anymore as the rad was uggerd,and transmision fluid was in the rad water,twas a right mess,and £1800 was quoted,Back to the jaguar dealer who is going to relay the CL back to themselves and fix the problem,can't argue with that, BUT when i first looked under the bonnet before purchase, the top hose was sucked in and flat.I pointed this out to the w/shop manager,who later said [and i have it in writing] that there was no problem with the cooling system,Now i know what a blown, inflated, top hose means but one that is flat??as soon as the rad cap is released the hose goes back to its proper shape, Has anyone any ideas what could make a top hose do that?? as i am not convinced its the rad [I could be very wrong!]

Hi there , and sorry to read of your woe's I would think your engine has been very hot due to the emulsification of the coolant , I think if I was you I would be looking to get out of this deal,

ATB

Knackered rad cap can cause top hose to go like that.

CL?

Flat top hose . .

It sounds as though the overflow to the expansion bottle is blocked.

The cooling system pressurises as it warms up (let's not mention heads & gaskets :whistle: ), the radiator cap lifts and the pressure is released into the expansion bottle (that usually involves transferring fluid as well).

When the motor cools a partial vacuum is formed in the cooling system and fluid is supposed to be sucked back from the expansion bottle - there is a two-way valve in the radiator cap that allows this.

If that isn't happening because the overflow is blocked, or the radiator cap is faulty (or the wrong one fitted - without the two-way valve) the top hose will collapse.

It all points to the radiator cap / Expansion tube to my way of thinking.

(The good news is that no air is being drawn in via the cylinder head :thumbup: ).

Bob.

Hi Dr, Siddley,

Very warm welcom to the forum. :thumbup:
I am sure you mean "LC" = Land Cruiser, just your fingers are a little fast :D

As your Colorado is a 2002, and from previous chat, I do know yours is a D4-d engine.
This is most important.
As you have posted in the 90 series section, and quite rightly, your returned information will invariably contain content that your engine is the older 3.0 liter engine
This is because probably 95% of 90 series ( Colorado was only a UK name ) made have the older engine.

Now that the forum know which engine you have, you are sure to get more replies.

One of the most common reasons for a "flattened" hose, is of course vaccum in the cooling system.
As we all know, when engines run to normal temperature, the water expands, adn as the water expands, it needs some where to go.
Rather than just out of the radiator overflow, and out onto the road, it is saved in the radiator expansion bottle.
As Bob, has pointed out, this is more than likley to be a simply blocked water pipe from the radiator to the expansion bottle.
It may well also be wise to just have a good look at this small pipe, and prove that it is clear, if not, clear it, or replace it.
It is jus ta short, small bore rubber pipe, so I guess most motor factors may sell it my the foot.
Another thing to consider is the cap on the expansion bottle.
Some expansion bottle have a "fixed" cap, that allows no air in, and no air out.
Also some expansion bottles have a vented cap.
To be honest, I can't remember what the cap is like on the expansion bottle on the D4-d setup.
It may be a different expansion bottle cap to the older engine?
What I am suggesting is that maybe some where in it's history, the owner has took the cap off to check level, and maybe LOST it.
Then he went to Toyota or motor factors, and bought a cap, for the "Colorado", and was sold a cap for the older type engine.
Just a thought.

As for Toyota saying that the radiator is knackered, and there is water in the transmission oil, well that clearly just does not make sense with a hose that is flattened.
Perhaps, your first port of call would be to replace the rubber transfer pipe between radiator and expansion bottle, then to an alternative Toyota dealer, and buy a new radiator cap, and a new expansion bottle cap.
Then I am sure your problem will have been resolved.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One would assume that Toyota can recognize ATF in the coolant rather than the coolant just being red - but assumptions of competence are ill-advised when it comes to Toyota garages.

It might be something as simple as a blocked overflow pipe or an incorrect rad cap but it sounds suspicious to me. ATF is more viscous than coolant and Toyota themselves are saying that the ATF cooler has ruptured and ATF is mixing with coolant - pumping more viscous fluid round the engine might easily resultant in a vacuum somewhere...
To add to the woes, if ATF and coolant have mixed, the gearbox may well require expensive repairs too.

Unless it's proven to be a minor issue and you get some kind of warranty that no damage has ensued, I think the advice to walk away is well-founded. My 2c ;)

What a result!! lots of info to digest,first of i did get LC&CL wrong, I have no idea how long this problem has exsisted It may have just happened or it could be why it was traded in,The transmision oil has mixed with the rad coolant and the result is a thickish pinky creamy gunge,which would have blocked the flow of fluid back into the system resulting in the flat top hose,I do not think any overheating has taken place as its about 25 miles from home to the dealers,so i have only driven it from them to home,and in a new cockpit you are much to busy to do any real speed,as you try to get the heating and other thing under control,its been round the block a couple of times 2/3 miles as i have tested other things, and then the run to toyota 5 miles max,so under my stewardship its done 50/60 ish miles,hopefully no lasting damage has been done, it will be trailerd back to jaguar on thursday for repaires to be done,He did give me the option of cash back but i think i will wait to see the outcome, We have a caravan meet on the first weekend in Dec,and that should be a good test of it,If it gives trouble it will be got rid off,apart from this problem its a minter of a motor, many thanks for all the input

How does theATF look as well, water in that CAN / WILL cause damage to the box.

The temperature that the engine would reach running the mixture of oil and water emulsion would be enough to boil the coolant solution , also the pressure that is created with this problem will completely distort the radiator,
Plus the damage to the gearbox as well with the contamination ,,,,,,,,,,,
My sincere advise is to get your money back,

Sorry , This problem goes right across the board trucks ,plant, cars etc

Leslie said:
My sincere advise is to get your money back,
+1 The car will never be right again and you'll always be wondering what the next creak or knocking noise will lead to.

I think that since it has been made, you should take the cashback offer. Yiu dont want to start off with a new (to you) car on a bad or doubting note and afterall you bought it in good faith and with good money. There are plenty of Colorados in good condition around.

thanks guys,we have decided to go for our money back,spoke to them today and they aint happy,we will meet with them tomorow to hand in a regection letter,will keep you posted

Is it wrong to ask for details of this vehicle to stop one of the rest of us buying a lemon. We all know what dealers are like...There is noyhing to stop them moving this to a different site, City, County and trying to flog it on to some poor unsuspecting sole. Should we be looking out for reg/Vin of suspect vehicles or is this not appropriate information to share on an open forum.

I do not know...that is why I am asking

I can't say anything yet as i am awaiting a refund,and hoops have to be jumped through to achieve this,however,if anyone is looking at an 02 registerd LC gold coloured bodywork with silver body, kit PM me for details

dr siddeley said:
[a jaguar dealership ...................[87,000mls]....
Could be - certainly fits the description! An unreliable car for sale in Solihull, fancy that :lol: Also a motor trader on Ebay with ZERO feedback :think:

Andrew Prince said:
: Also a motor trader on Ebay with ZERO feedback :think:
Something odd there, not only zero feedback, but NO feedback at all, but he has 1223 previous items listed and not one has left a feedback, very odd :think:

Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:
Something odd there, not only zero feedback, but NO feedback at all, but he has 1223 previous items listed and not one has left a feedback, very odd :think:

all classified so you cant leave feedback

silvercruiser said:
Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:

all classified so you cant leave feedback
Ah! I didn't realise you can't leave feedback on classified :oops:

Back