Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

building ideas/advice

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys

Firstly let me say, I do have some building-to-plans experience, and also some problem-solving ability in that regard. However, got an interesting conundrum ahead of me.
About five years ago, I built a double garage, my first project. Due to planners, we had to keep the roof low and put a couple of barn-ends on the roof. It's about six and a half metres square if I recall correctly. At the time, for speed and cost (now I know a lot more people the cost difference was rubbish) we did the roof with standard trusses, and a cut roof at each end. Only built it out of rendered single skin blockwork, with support piers as per building regs. To be fair it stays nice and dry in there. Must have done a good job!! Got a decent roller door on there with a good seal, and I double-glazed the windows etc. At the time, I really was concerned about roof storage. Now I look back, I didn't have that much spare timber/paint pots etc , and had I really though about it, the area under the eaves down either side was perfect.
So after ankle rebuild number two, I am having some time to reflect. I suspect that I will spend more time doing cars and less doing landscaping. To that end, I really need to be able to lift cars a lot higher and quicker. Not getting any younger......
So, after than rambled intro, what I am wondering is this:-
Is there any way that I can modify the roof structure (from within) in order that I can gain some extra height in the middle? I understand totally that joists (in this case the horizontals of the trusses) serve a purpose to stop the roof spreading at the eaves and keep the walls/structure square via the wall plates etc. Chances are it would only be the centre 2-3 m (I need to measure up) which is where it is trussed. I am very open to ideas, building.doing quirky things seems to be my specialty over the last few years. My mate is a brickie, I now know two chippies, and a steelworker. So everything is in place labour wise, but what I need is ideas/feasibility first. The original architect is currently unwell so I can't speak to him for a while.
The idea being that I will put either a two post ramp in or a good quality scissor lift.

All (do-able!!) ideas welcome!

Many thanks.

And a picture paints a thousand words
garage.jpg

20131003_154034.jpg

Just fit wood crosspieces on the struts to prevent them spreading , cut out the required space , put an RSJ either end from support pillar to support pillar then use 2 more RSJ's to make a box inside the cut hole and bolt whats left of the horizontal truss to the RSJ's it would be stronger again than it is now .

Have traced the chippie who cut in the barn ends of the roof, going to try and get him around.
Dug out original plans and invoice for trusses.
Turns out I had ordered attic trusses anyway so its already all open up there apart from the joist (aka bottom chord).
garagedesignidea_zps9b115011.jpg

Have you considered a pit at all? not as easy or desirable as a lift. But it may be easier.

I can't Grant. There is a central support blockwork footing right through the centre of the garage front to back - I believe it was overengineering but the architect was a cautious guy. Same reason I can't put in a flush-mount scissor left - you need about a foot/15" of concrete to play with - I know we have a 6" pour (as I poured it...).
Hence above ground only option

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
untitled.jpg
I'm no builder and as for local authority regs.... :whistle:

But, I would have thought a typical truss would look something like the sketch above (forgetting dimensions). Obviously to raise the effective room height, the horizontal has to be removed/raised. As long as point 9 and the ridge (on the sketch) are adequately supported, there will be no problem.

I think Shayne's advice was to run RSJs front to back through the trusses giving support to a shortened "V" thus raising the horizontal which would remain at a higher level to maintain the resistance to spread.

No more from me on this, I'll leave it to the experts! :lol:

Last edited:
Back