Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Politist Rutier

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Traffic police here are funny, not necessarily "ha ha" either.

Here, we have to carry our "papers" at all times. That is, ID, drivers' license, vehicle "talon" (a mini version of the registration document), insurance and so forth.

On Wednesday, I made the mistake of leaving my wallet in another jacket pocket :doh:Somehow, I knew I'd be stopped on a spot check (there's no need for a reason to stop motorist here) they can "smell" it when you don't have docs :lol:

Sure enough, I was stopped. After apologies that I didn't have anything except my passport, he said "there's a problem".

Oh, here we go, I thought, and he took me to the front of the truck. "Here" he said pointing to the HID projector dipped beam. "These are not permitted and I have to cancel the technical paper for the vehicle".

In practice, that's the worst nightmare, ever. You have to go through a full tech inspection of the original vehicle, meaning no winch, no winch bar, standard wheels, tyres, no rear wheel carrier, no extras whatsoever and all standard lights and no suspension lift, the list goes on for ever.

Then I asked him why the lights were not permitted, the beam is bright I said, well positioned, no glare on other motorists etc., etc.

He didn't know and neither did he care. "I have to cancel the paper" he said (again).

As we walked around the truck to the other light, he saw the headlamp washer jets. "Ah, just a moment, you have these" (pointing). "Yes" I said, "and they work too" as I pressed the button soaking him in screen-wash liquid.

"Thats ok then" he said, "you're free to go! Nice truck, have a good evening!"

You can't imagine my relief, all hell had just unfolded in the last 5 minutes, then suddenly, all was well.

:icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin: I'm a happy chap again!

Last edited:
Sounds like a right faff altogether. I believe the law is the same here though, that HID lights have to be teamed up with headlamp washers. I have heard of cars failing the test because of it. But to be pulled over and have that threat is a bit much!!

Is that because a dirty glass spreads the beam and dazzles oncoming motorists or a dirty glass just dims the lamps too much?

My brother was stopped in France and had his Renault Alpine impounded because he did not have the log book. The gendarmes only stopped him to have a look at a Renault Alpine, then apologised !!

I was stopped recently in France by 2 armed gendarmes in a village called Loyat. I had all my papers and was sent on my way. Just around the corner opposite a field where it would be safe there was a gendarme standing with a shot gun presumably ready to shoot peoples tyres out who did not stop.

The police here are trained to look for things, but not equipped with sufficient information to decide what's right or wrong.

When finding something "wrong" and I'm not denying "it" may be, his solution was to cancel the technical paper, thus putting the "problem" back to me to sort out with the technical inspectorate.

I don't know what the theory is with the washers Frank.

IME a halogen bulb in a regular lenses delivery generates more heat than an HID in a projector. Maybe I'm wrong, but having used both, that's my impression. So the dirt factor really doesn't come into it IMO.

Back