Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Prices

Seems like a very high price to me, and no pics of underneath or engine bay. An mot advisory for corrosion a couple of weeks ago too. Really need to see underneath it but even if its absolutely perfect i doubt it would be worth more than £9-10

I tend to agree that its way over priced. It ticks lots of boxes and relatively close to me in Cheshire but I can’t imagine they would come close to the £10k its worth.
Interestingly, the 09 120’s do seem to attract a premium. I’m aware they’re a lower tax bracket but is there anything else which makes this year more attractive?

Last edited:
So the corrosion has started, and will need immediate work/treatment trying to prevent spread - more money on top of a well over the top price !
As there are very few/no 120's in a decent state now, consider one from warner climes/import, that could still be well cheaper than that ?

As there are very few/no 120's in a decent state now, consider one from warner climes/import, that could still be well cheaper than that ?

Tbh I’m open to the import option but have no clue as to the procedure/admin of the process?
I guess the other perspective is to source one from an enthusiast on here who has kept on top of servicing, maintenance and corrosion. I’ll pop a post in the ‘Wanted’ section……

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think 2009 is the last year of production for the 120, so it's as 'new' as you can get - maybe thats why its more £££. But with these its all about condition - you can find 2003 models that are in much better condition than 2009 ones - it all depends how they've been looked after/abused and where they've spent their 15-20 years.

Toyota make (made?) good cars so most of them still look perfect on top. Having said that, theres not even many photographs on that advert. If you like it, maybe ask them for some more pics, including the engine bay and underneath and post them on here. Then you[ll get some expert (not me!!!) views.

I think 2009 is the last year of production for the 120, so it's as 'new' as you can get - maybe thats why its more £££. But with these its all about condition - you can find 2003 models that are in much better condition than 2009 ones - it all depends how they've been looked after/abused and where they've spent their 15-20 years.

Toyota make (made?) good cars so most of them still look perfect on top. Having said that, theres not even many photographs on that advert. If you like it, maybe ask them for some more pics, including the engine bay and underneath and post them on here. Then you[ll get some expert (not me!!!) views.
I’ve requested more pics and will post in due course

Too many body polishers with an underside never seen/mot corrosion ignored until its too late dont help. As I've said on other threads, if it originated/come from Scotland, or been used as a boat launcher, give it a miss. Previous owners on V5 will tell you, even a coastal region.

Last edited:
Agree with above, if prepared to pay that sort of money and this one isn't what you hope after all maybe get in touch with one of the well spoken of importers and bring a Prado in, that should be as new underneath, its what i had planned until mine suddenly appeared one morning traded in for a new motorhome, nipped over to see it that morning, slipped underneath to be met with a very pleasing sight, ripped the blokes arm off.
Doesn't say on the advert that its decent VED rate, do all 09 plate 120's benefit from that? If they do does that mean even lower than 1.5 pass rate on emissions?

Mine's in really good condition underneath due to my heavy greasing of the chassis, copious amounts of Bilt Hambers cavity waxes inside the shell and chassis and a twice a year underbody spraying of ACF50, i doubt many owners unless members here would go to such lengths, most unlikely new vehicle buyers ever bothered...this oil based anti rust lark has its downsides mind, its filthy to do any work on.

Price wise its all about condition and mileage, suspect the pre £700 VED models are in more demand and the few 2009 models that have cheaper tax the same.

Agree with above, if prepared to pay that sort of money and this one isn't what you hope after all maybe get in touch with one of the well spoken of importers and bring a Prado in, that should be as new underneath, its what i had planned until mine suddenly appeared one morning traded in for a new motorhome, nipped over to see it that morning, slipped underneath to be met with a very pleasing sight, ripped the blokes arm off.
Doesn't say on the advert that its decent VED rate, do all 09 plate 120's benefit from that? If they do does that mean even lower than 1.5 pass rate on emissions?

Mine's in really good condition underneath due to my heavy greasing of the chassis, copious amounts of Bilt Hambers cavity waxes inside the shell and chassis and a twice a year underbody spraying of ACF50, i doubt many owners unless members here would go to such lengths, most unlikely new vehicle buyers ever bothered...this oil based anti rust lark has its downsides mind, its filthy to do any work on.

Price wise its all about condition and mileage, suspect the pre £700 VED models are in more demand and the few 2009 models that have cheaper tax the same.
Tax is £395 on this ‘09, not sure if its true of all?
Was the injector seal/washer issue resolved by ‘09?
I’ll do a bit of research on the import route, though it it adds another level of anxiety onto the whole car buying process!

There is only one way to buy a decent 120 and that is being prepared to look at loads and invest your time in doing so. It's well documented that I looked at 10 before I pulled the trigger on the 05 LC4 I bought. I could travel 100 miles each way and be there 15 seconds before I was on my way back. You must remember that photo's always flatter so if it doesn't quite look as good as the photos don't be surprised.
Mine was a 4 owner truck with the service history written on the inside of an oil filter box and only from 2011 but it was the best underneath by far, had the best seat and steering wheel and the quietist engine so I bought it purely on condition as seen. Yes I knew I had a grand to fork out for injectors at some stage but that was factored in. It's been a great truck coming up 5 years, costing a front hub assembly for a wheel bearing and the injectors so not bad. Even though I've regularly treated the underneath I did have to weld a small patch on the offside sill which had come through from the inside which I could not have foreseen.
Chassis at the rear end can be problematic as road dirt and water can be trapped in the last couple of feet of the chassis. when this gets wet it stays wet for a long time on top of the area the tow bar captive nuts are and it's not uncommon for the towbar fastenings to pull out of the chassis and the tow bar to become detached. I overcame the problem by removing the back bumper and modifying the chassis end so water etc could drain out.

These are old trucks which weren't protected well from new and have seen a good few winters so its a good search ahead. I think the 120 @ £14k is well into 150 money which a big step forward from a 120 so I wouldn't mind some of what they were puffing on when they thought of that price.

I see mine, which is well above average condition as a realistic £5k truck and dont see that one as worth nearly 3 times as much.

Just my thoughts as a 5 year owner of a 120.

There is only one way to buy a decent 120 and that is being prepared to look at loads and invest your time in doing so. It's well documented that I looked at 10 before I pulled the trigger on the 05 LC4 I bought. I could travel 100 miles each way and be there 15 seconds before I was on my way back. You must remember that photo's always flatter so if it doesn't quite look as good as the photos don't be surprised.
Mine was a 4 owner truck with the service history written on the inside of an oil filter box and only from 2011 but it was the best underneath by far, had the best seat and steering wheel and the quietist engine so I bought it purely on condition as seen. Yes I knew I had a grand to fork out for injectors at some stage but that was factored in. It's been a great truck coming up 5 years, costing a front hub assembly for a wheel bearing and the injectors so not bad. Even though I've regularly treated the underneath I did have to weld a small patch on the offside sill which had come through from the inside which I could not have foreseen.
Chassis at the rear end can be problematic as road dirt and water can be trapped in the last couple of feet of the chassis. when this gets wet it stays wet for a long time on top of the area the tow bar captive nuts are and it's not uncommon for the towbar fastenings to pull out of the chassis and the tow bar to become detached. I overcame the problem by removing the back bumper and modifying the chassis end so water etc could drain out.

These are old trucks which weren't protected well from new and have seen a good few winters so its a good search ahead. I think the 120 @ £14k is well into 150 money which a big step forward from a 120 so I wouldn't mind some of what they were puffing on when they thought of that price.

I see mine, which is well above average condition as a realistic £5k truck and dont see that one as worth nearly 3 times as much.

Just my thoughts as a 5 year owner of a 120.
Appreciate the advice.
I’ve eliminated dozens in the last few months on MOT history-specifically persistent advisories and/or fails on rust/corrosion. Recently seen a few ‘09 120’s with low’ish milages at around £12-14K-obviously they might actually sell for less.
Reckon you did well at that price.

I did just that initially, Springates. Sat down, checked ads spread over months, then mot histories all without leaving home, until I found likely ones to start travelling to see.
Some mot histories are downright confusing or a fiddle as Ive come across some items that disappear as though addressed, then a few mot's down the line crop up again. Advisories like tyres or brakes low, but despite a lot of mileage being accrued, are still there for the next few mot's. Stevie Wonder's garage, lol.
As Andy says photographs can be flattering, and sellers description/condition even speaking on the phone can vary from your own opinon, so bearing in mind all the advice given, go to see a likely one with an open mind, but be prepared to be disappointed.......or delighted !!!
My seller didn't know it had a diff lock, never mind it working when I asked - it did !

Last edited:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402146548683?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&postcode=CW11%201H
An update…..No photos forthcoming as yet from the vehicle in my initial post. However, I’m going to be having a look at this one. I believe its actually an early 150 rather than 120? Ticks a lot of boxes: milage, fsh and excellent mot history. Passes all the usual checks re: finance, accident etc. I’ll have a good luck inside, outside and underneath!

Yes, that is an early 150 - looks good in the pics.

Do the 150s also suffer from the same tin worm problems as the 90 and 120?

Obviously will be newer, so any effects may be lesser simply due to the fact that corrosion has has less time to take hold. I'd like to think that Mr Toyota took some lessons after seeing the 90s/100s/120s etc. and applied a better and longer lasting underseal.

Although it's a lower spec model.ie,not leather etc that looks streets ahead of that 120 at roundabout the same money. The cloth interiors are far more durable than the leather and better in summer and winter.
If I was in that market I know which direction my money would be headed.

Good luck to you with your potential purchase, hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
THAT'S A 120 IT HAS NEVER SEEN A 150 !!
AND IT LOOKS AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE AT £13995 ??
I WOULD RATHER BUY A GOOD ROT-FREE ONE WITH 200K ON FOR HALF THE MONEY !!
YES, ITS GOT NICE MILEAGE BUT IT IS ONLY A NUMBER ON THE CLOCK
ITS ALL ABOUT THE UNDERSIDE AND THE SERVICE HISTORY WITH THESE THINGS !!
NOT THE DIGITS ON THE SPEEDO AS A CORRECTLY MAINTAINED AND WELL-DRIVEN ONE OF THESE SHOULD AND WILL TOP 500K MILES ANYWAY

THAT'S A 120 IT HAS NEVER SEEN A 150 !!
AND IT LOOKS AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE AT £13995 ??
I WOULD RATHER BUY A GOOD ROT-FREE ONE WITH 200K ON FOR HALF THE MONEY !!
YES, ITS GOT NICE MILEAGE BUT IT IS ONLY A NUMBER ON THE CLOCK
ITS ALL ABOUT THE UNDERSIDE AND THE SERVICE HISTORY WITH THESE THINGS !!
NOT THE DIGITS ON THE SPEEDO AS A CORRECTLY MAINTAINED AND WELL-DRIVEN ONE OF THESE SHOULD AND WILL TOP 500K MILES ANYWAY
Its first registered 14/1/2010. From what I can find out this was when 150 was released-120 ceased 2009?

Back