Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series brake lines - pre-made?

Dave_S

Hi all,

Was investigating a "clunk" under the back of the 80 series today (but that's another story, for another thread!), and noticed one of the rear brake lines was slightly damp. On investigation, yup - its brake fluid weeping. Looks like the clamp where the line is attached to the axle is rusting/chaffing through.

I've not messed about with the brake lines on the 80 series TBH, and don't have a flaring tool, so wondered if it's possible to buy pre-made items? I've checked the usual suspects (Roughtrax and Milners, and did some Googling) but no joy.

Any ideas? Or do I need to bite the bullet either learn to do it myself, or get a garage on the case....???

Cheers guys

Dave S

you can get just replacement pipe sections.
Also seen someone in UK/IRL doing their own brake lines with flaring etc but can't remember who

Hi all,

Was investigating a "clunk" under the back of the 80 series today (but that's another story, for another thread!), and noticed one of the rear brake lines was slightly damp. On investigation, yup - its brake fluid weeping. Looks like the clamp where the line is attached to the axle is rusting/chaffing through.

I've not messed about with the brake lines on the 80 series TBH, and don't have a flaring tool, so wondered if it's possible to buy pre-made items? I've checked the usual suspects (Roughtrax and Milners, and did some Googling) but no joy.

Any ideas? Or do I need to bite the bullet either learn to do it myself, or get a garage on the case....???

Cheers guys

Dave S
Running new lines and flaring/nippling them is one of my most favouritest things - and self taught on the flaring.
However, flaring tools and a satisfactory result vary vastly.
I will try and find out which flaring tool i used, as i bought 3 different kits that were dreadful, eventually settling for a sealey "in situ" type with a split vice type former instead of the more traditional clamp type.

If youre going to have a play, be sure to buy the pale copper/silver "Kunifer" tubing and not the regular copper type.
It lasts forever and is more forgiving in the swaging and flaring of nipple ends with the double flare (?) ends.
Ill find out the tool i bought and post here, plus i bought a handy couple of short radius and long radius bending tools.

I restored a classic mini years ago and re-made all the brake lines myself, to the exact form of the originals... i was in OCD near rain man heaven!

Up to you, but its very satisfying to do once you have practiced a few times on some pipe cut-offs.
A garage will do them no bother but god only knows how much they will charge these days.

All nuts and nipples can be bought in those handy packs you see in auto parts stores or halfords even.

Heres the tool i bought eventually.... its a godsend, but a bit pricey.
Sooooo much easier to use and can be used on the vehicle, in situ so makes life a lot simpler -

You could try Amayama for the pre-made lines, but id be very very doubtful theyll be available, and shipping them would be a cluster ferk, due to the originals being steel with a PVC coating - the length alone will be like 3m and all manner of different bent shapes and curves

Cheers Ciderman. I have done some brake lines a while back, also on a Mini and a Landy, but I borrowed the tool from a mate at the time. I wasn't sure if the 80 series fittings are different, but I guess I could buy the kit and give it a go... Ref getting from Amayama, or similar, I would have expected them to send the lengths with fitments, but coiled, to be shaped on fitting? Maybe I'm being dim ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You don't need to spend that on a flaring tool. I bought one for around £25 whcih does the different typres of flare, inverted, bubble, double bubble etc. Once you've done a couple it's child's play and the pipe, copper/cunifer and the union nuts are cheap enough. I replaaced my flexis a couple of years back and had to make up some short copper pipes as the unions had siezed on the old one"s. Even if they are still available, which I doubt, it'll almost certainly be cheaper to make your own.
As already said, I think some of the OEM oipes on the 80 where steel.

Not a hard job, but if you haven't got the gear or inclination, some motor factors will make them if you take the old pipe in as a pattern. Best to get them made of Kunifer, more durable than copper.

I've a small section (front DS UK) on front axle that needs replacing if any of ye flaring gurus wanna make up - approx 2ft

I've a small section (front DS UK) on front axle that needs replacing if any of ye flaring gurus wanna make up - approx 2ft
Happy to oblige, but i wont be about until after 20th April.... if you can wait that long.
If you get a shout before that, all good.
I'll even put the bends and twiddly bits on too :-D

Happy to oblige, but i wont be about until after 20th April.... if you can wait that long.
If you get a shout before that, all good.
I'll even put the bends and twiddly bits on too :-D
fab - no rush. Been running with it for several months. Just hasn't the proper 'flange' connection to the body

fab - no rush. Been running with it for several months. Just hasn't the proper 'flange' connection to the body
Deal.
Luckily i have a '93 80 series as a pattern :-D
Ill drop you a line when im back and will go from there. Happy days.

Just a quick question - can you drop a photo of this bit or what should be there - "the proper 'flange' connection to the body".
Cant quite picture what that is.

Why must they be hard ? I don't imagine ordering say a 5ft braided hose with connections to fit should present much of a problem .

Back