Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back to the Future .

Shayne,

I'm afraid I don't. I did change one for a member whose chain was skipping under load. They don't have to be very worn to give trouble (his transfer box had been full of water & mud for a while so it was no great surprise).

Chains are quite expensive from Mr T, but they should be standard 'Hi-Vo' units so may be available at normal prices somewhere. Getting the exact spec might be an issue though.

Bob.

No prob Bob i'm thinking cracked casing and change the box is more common so i am hoping to find a breaker willing to split a damaged box , would have just been nice to find one from i source i can trust is all .

Heavy 16x8 steel wheels sporting 285/75 mud tyres against 16X7 factory alloys sporting 265/70 road tyres will likely alter character with the taller tyre changing gearing slightly and maybe the extra weight calls for more power before it moves ?

I certainly noticed a difference in initial acceleration when I went from stock (265/70R16) road tyres to 265/75R16 ATs. So I'm sure you'll notice it even more going to 285s. However I've only got the puny petrol.......

Heavier wheel/tyre combos will significantly affect the handling and acceleration, decreasing rotational mass makes a huge difference.

I certainly noticed a difference in initial acceleration when I went from stock (265/70R16) road tyres to 265/75R16 ATs. So I'm sure you'll notice it even more going to 285s. However I've only got the puny petrol.......

Nothing puny about petrol Chadr as i have said i think Helen's truck would win the race , its the feel i'm trying to describe , the throttle response in the KDJ is more refined whereas mine just sort of dumps a great shovel of coal into the furnace in one go .

There's not much in it i reckon its torque vs power i think mine copes with bigger tyres better than Helen's will .

......the throttle response in the KDJ is more refined whereas mine just sort of dumps a great shovel of coal into the furnace in one go ....

I love that kick in the back you get with a TD but the problem is that almost as soon as it's started, you're out of the "band" - that's what gears are for I suppose. I had a Mondeo TDCi with a few subtle performance mods and it went like the proverbial but you had to keep it in a relatively narrow rev range to keep it on the boil. Of course you get used to it pretty quickly and drive accordingly.

Whereas the 3.4 V6's delivery, as with most NA petrol engines, is much more linear. However I love to get my hands on a TRD supercharger!!

Its road rather than revs i tend to run out of , that's why i'm unenthusiastic about seeking more power in my 1KZ , more by fluke than design i feel i have reached a point where everything - the lift - the big wheels - the power all compliment each other and greed could ruin it all .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol: looks good Rich i shall email them to see what completes the outfit :lol:

Ha ha!! [emoji4] many a true word spoken in jest there Shayne![emoji4][emoji4]

Heavier wheel/tyre combos will significantly affect the handling and acceleration, decreasing rotational mass makes a huge difference.

I noticed a significant effect on acceleration when I put the 235/85 on. Cruising is more relaxed. Glad I didn't go wider. (205 section tyres before)

I'm more or less decided on 265/75 R16 BFG K02's for Helen's truck on , if i can convince China i don't need 100 sets , 16x8 alloys with a minus 25 offset . Same set up as Froggy Steve i think .

No prob Bob i'm thinking cracked casing and change the box is more common so i am hoping to find a breaker willing to split a damaged box , would have just been nice to find one from i source i can trust is all .

Hmmmmmmm. . . . What is actually wrong with your box ??

I rebuilt a box for another member recently. He had completely destroyed the Centre Diff and then bought a replacement box from a breaker.

Unfortunately the replacement was from a Manual and his truck is an Auto :doh:.

I built him a good 'Auto' T-box from the two and I now have most of a 'manual' Transfer Box that I am intending to renovate. It will probably cost £800+ by the time I'm finished.

Time is always an issue with me and the bits are in a crate, covered with a cloth and hiding in a corner above the workshop. It could be months before I get around to doing anything with it . . . Unless there is a pressing need :icon-wink:.

Of course, it will have to be a 'proper job' if you're going to race it :whistle:.

I should really get my pension paid direct to Simon Holton :lol: .

Does this give you a way forward ??

Bob.

Last edited:
I don't have the knowledge i need to say for sure Bob but i'm convinced its only a stretched chain , everything about this car is mint and original its a low miler to , I do believe the previous owner has somehow associated the little gearstick with towing , steering rack bushes are also shot which lends itself to the theory he did a lot of tarmac miles with the centre diff locked .

The main reason i suspect the chain is there is nothing alarming in the ..... clunk :think: that's the wrong word , its like a shunt in the drivetrain . Almost like dog ends mating on a 10 tonne trawl winch , like a tiny delay between clutch engaging and power going to the wheels . But its muted . I honestly believe it would last another 10 years without repair but you know how it is somethings not right and i need to know .

Shayne,

According to toyoDIY a drive chain costs Euro 612 :shock:, though I'm pretty sure Mike Rummey got his replacement for around £250 (I just fitted it, he sourced it).

That's a lot of loot to spend on the off-chance of removing a slight noise!

There could be wear in the Centre Diff planet gear needle roller bearings. I have seen them worn thin and pointed which meant that there was slack in the drive train. If the truck has been towing heavy things with the diff locked then the planet bearings will suffer as they jam-up when the diff lock is deployed.

I would live with it until something becomes really worn and obvious - otherwise we're just guessing.

Bob.

I need to look in that inspection hole you posted about on the transfer box thread , its one of them damned if you do and damned if you don't things , buy a chain and find i don't need it or don't buy a chain and end up with a truck in bits for a month while i search for a chain :icon-rolleyes:

Shayne, steering rack bushes are common to wear on these 90 series rack. Mine went when the truck was about 6 years old, on a failed MOT. At the time I had to import the rack bushes over from the US and no one in the UK supplied them.

Also, what you describe sounds like drivetrain wear and a bit of play in the system? .

I had decided on a set of these for Helen's truck but they say buy 20 or no can do . Another Alibaba seller says yes no problem but we can only send you 16x10 :icon-rolleyes:

st-sport-gt-wheel-4x4-15x10jj-6x139-7-taltyres-1312-07-taltyres@4.jpg

I want 16x8 with a minus 25 offset if anyone has any suggestions ?

Nice rims, where are they produced?

Why not go with the 16x10? Will look mean! :icon-evil:

Back