Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cv joint advice

put new ones in. put them in the scrap bin or use them as a paper weight.

personally i wouldnt even think about re-using them to save a few quid only to have to change them again in the middle of this winter...

Warren, do you keep a horse in your garage? Ha Ha.

I'd say they were clopped out.

I'll get me coat.

Garage???? No that's far too posh for me.

d068ca60aebde98ca11001ea6498b032.jpg

Dinning room table is far better. Thank god the wife is not about.

FYI the flowers add a nice touch I thought.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know it's not correct to judge on one experience such as mine, but I couldn't see anything wrong with one that let go on my truck. I have some photos but not with me at present. I'll try to dig them out tonight.

That's why I asked if they were Toyo or not Chris. I'm guessing the dealer price is £400 each so why not wear the originals out if they are Toyo ones. Looking at the wear they've got plenty of life left if the car is driven like a road car, but I don't know if Warren is going to stress his or not. That would be a calculation rather than a risk Chris.

Can't remember if I've had a bump on the head so must have done.

Ha ha, that the problem with head injuries Frank. Well I think that this is supposed to be an overland / long distance prep rather than a daily drive where you could manage until you got home on an AA lorry from work. Can't say I'd see there being plenty of life left in those. I've thrown better ones in the scrap bin.

Calculation rather than a risk? Not sure I get that - and I published a book on risk 2 years ago.

Anyway, Warren's wallet, Warren's choice. Said my piece. I'd put them on the shelf for emergency spares out in the bush. Or Tesco car park in my case.

In that case publishing the book must have been a calculated risk Chris.

I think this raises an interesting point in favour of Land Rovers and Range Rovers. I had 7 LR's and 3 RR's over a 20 year period and only had one axle problem which was a broken rear 1/2 shaft. OK I did not use low range, where all the torque is though, very often. In 1983 I bought a 1/2 finished project which was a written off 1973 2 door RR which a dealer had started to rebuild. It was a rolling brand new chassis with the original axles and new bulkhead and sides. The dealer supplied a pile of new/old stock parts and I eventually registered it as a new vehicle REA 938W. Anyway I did over 2000,000 miles on second hand axles and never had a murmur. My 80 has already had to have new kingpin bearings at only 110,000 miles of just road use.

I wonder where RR got there CVJ's from ? Must have been somewhere in England.

BMC mini CVJ's used to start clicking but I'm not sure whether they blew up or not. Probably 1/2 foot/once torque wasn't enough.

Nearly Frank, nearly. It was actually predictive risk. Difficult to calculate future risk in that respect based on the number of variables. However, worn CVs have far fewer unknowns and a very certain outcome. You just don't know quite when that's all.

Garage???? No that's far too posh for me.

d068ca60aebde98ca11001ea6498b032.jpg

Dinning room table is far better. Thank god the wife is not about.

FYI the flowers add a nice touch I thought.

I like this photo so much Warren :laughing-rolling:

Yes, you can clearly tell that Mrs Warren isn't home. Just how will you explain the indentations on the dining room table when she returns?

I will tell her I told her to take her heels off but she insisted she kept them on...

[emoji38]

oh right that'll go down well. Well, probably better than 'Sorry love, I have had bits of my Landcruiser stripped down on here'

Yep, claiming infidelity would be a better option.

These threads always scare the bejesus out of me! I have an old truck which I don't think was well cared for, and so I suspect a lot of these kind of problems might be looming. The problem is I don't know how to spot them! Is the clicking very obvious when on the truck? Really don't want any more expensive repairs on my LC for a while... But equally don't want to scrimp now and pay for it later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward, people only report bad news on here so don't panic. Certain people also don't drive with consideration of the vehicle in mind as outlined in Toyotas well known bibles "how to drive a car properly" and" when should I buy a tank".

Edward if I did not have weeping balls I would never have known my cv'a have wear as they don't click or make a noise at all. There is a good chance they will go back in given this until they fail or make a noise. Don't worry as Frank says.

Properly greased and maintained these should last a very long time in my view, it's the 'maintained' bit that gets neglected. I guess from new, Toyota dealers never look in there and by the time the cars were 10 years old or so they had been passed onto people who wouldn't go to a dealer for servicing, the seals went, grease got depleted etc etc and the damage began. If at every 25k the CVs had been removed and re packed properly from new then things may have been different. I have had CVs come out with no grease in at all! When I got the white one, it had clearly had a fix it and flog it job done on it and an aftermarket CV put in completely dry.

Back