Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I bought a 3D printer

I could try... With my current CAD skills it might look like a road-kill hamster....

Just out of interest how much did it cost? I was thinking of building a prusa mendel i3. I have seen some one that had built one and he printed a cube with! I said to him great, now go and print yourself some tea hahaha

This one cost £679 - http://www.technologyoutlet.co.uk/products/3d-printer-wanhao-d4s

The RepRap (Pursa Mendel) are very good and what started the home-printing idea. I've been pricing them up for a few years and getting the parts needed for it etc. They will often work out cheaper but with the COTS being so "cheap" they're starting to lose their appeal (unless you really enjoy building them).

So far all attempts at drawing a rectangle with curved corners and beveled edges using sketchup have failed , it might be easier to photoshop the original lid ........... when daughters around :shifty:

Just read the specs in the link you posted Crispin and unfortunately what i want is to big . Nevermind now i know such machines exist i can look for someone with a bigger version .

A couple of options, they do make a taller one, duplicator 5D I think it's called or, search for 3D printing UK, they're a print house, will print almost anything. Loads of others like them.
Upload your file and they give you a quote.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm lost. Is the suggestion here that you're going to print a hamster? :animals-mouse:

:laughing-rolling: Classic!

My daughter wants one Cris, (hamster that is) once you get the hang of it. Can she have one with a cubby please? :lol:

Runs and hides...

:laughing-rolling: Classic!

My daughter wants one Cris, (hamster that is) once you get the hang of it. Can she have one with a cubby please? :lol:

Runs and hides...
I vaguely remember a joke about a Dutch hamster, something to do with hamster jam. :laughing-rolling:

Really enjoying the printer. I needed a small bracket to hold a light on. 20 minutes in CAD, 23 minutes to print it and I have my bracket.

All being well I will need many more of the same bracket and it makes me smile knowing I can go to the computer and press print and out comes another one.

Had some frustrating times with failed prints but getting to learn it all now...

jeez, that CNC cutter is quick! I want one, no idea what to do with it or how to use it, but I want one!!

Sadly i cannot find a company in Britain that can 3D print a console lid , those that do offer a service exist only in cyber world and need a Cad file to work from :icon-cry: so i either leave the console broken (it has been since i bought the truck) or pay 130 quid to mr T or a new one (without hinges , catch or anything else) or botch one up out of wood when i can be bothered .

I wouldn't mind paying £130 for something that would survive a child leaning on it !

Let me know how it goes printing the hamster - could be handy, as the missus says she wants a Rabbit for Christmas.....

Bloody comedian...
Speaking of printing rabbits, I was discussing this (printer) with a friend who blurted out "ha ha, you could print adult toys" 30 seconds on Google and I had loads of files to print out stuff which I can't begin to fathom how it's used...

Seems whatever the tech, somehow the adult industry can get involved...

Sadly i cannot find a company in Britain that can 3D print a console lid , those that do offer a service exist only in cyber world and need a Cad file to work from :icon-cry: so i either leave the console broken (it has been since i bought the truck) or pay 130 quid to mr T or a new one (without hinges , catch or anything else) or botch one up out of wood when i can be bothered .

I wouldn't mind paying £130 for something that would survive a child leaning on it !

Why not find a cabinet/furniture maker or similar and have one made up out of a piece of mahogany or teak or whatever? Would look good and would certainly be stronger. Can't imagine it being too expensive for something that size.

Why not find a cabinet/furniture maker or similar and have one made up out of a piece of mahogany or teak or whatever? Would look good and would certainly be stronger. Can't imagine it being too expensive for something that size.

I can make pretty much anything with wood but then it would have to be painted to match the plastic and i doubt i would be happy with the end result .

I can make pretty much anything with wood but then it would have to be painted to match the plastic and i doubt i would be happy with the end result .

What about wrapping the wood with some nice Vinyl or even leather? I've seen this done before and it looks very neat and original. Padding it prior to wrapping makes for a nice touch as well.

Tony built speakers from mdf and covered it with veneer. It looks like real wood. Hard pressed to se it's not.

Back