Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

looking for new tyres, but what size?

Donald

Country Flag
netherlands
For my LC80 i'm looking to buy some new tyres.

i would like a plus size tyre to fill up the wheel cases a bit more.
but wich size is still good to ride on the highway.
on the highway it's normal cruise around 135kmh(gps)
the car has no trouble doing this and i dont get any anouying vibration.

At this moment i'm running on 285/75/16 BFG AT's
these tyres do all the things i want and more.

greetzzz

Donald

Replace with those again Donald, I love BFG AT's and IME very hard to beat as an all rounder. Easy to balance, very hard wearing, no vibe or noise issues, traction good on the highway and off road on mixed terrain. I ended up with Toyo open country AT's as BFG's were not available, the Toyo's are generally ok but recently noticed they are not going to give me the miles the BFG's did.

regards

Dave

I'm on 305s, but there's definitely more rolling resistance on anything bigger than 285s which will compromise cruising speed and consumption.

I'm with Dave on this one.

:doh:, not the reply's i was hoping for:whistle:

i'll stick to this size i geuss.

my friends think the tyres are huges, but for us it's normal.
i'll just have to 'see it ' like they do:icon-biggrin:

tnx anyway

One more post to go Donald before the pics, my God the suspense is killing me.

:doh:, not the reply's i was hoping for:whistle:

i'll stick to this size i geuss.

my friends think the tyres are huges, but for us it's normal.
i'll just have to 'see it ' like they do:icon-biggrin:

tnx anyway

fit 315/75s then see what your friends say Donald :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am all for asking and listening to advice Donald...(name added to force 15th post :whistle:), the advice offered is generally (with most people) based on personal experience and as you pointed out in your opening post:

[At this moment i'm running on 285/75/16 BFG AT's
these tyres do all the things i want and more.]

The tyres are well known AND you already like them, by all mean collate all the posts/comments from all that offer to help form a personal opinion but, do not be swayed by your friends or forum bias...YOU are the owner and the driver, IMO who's opinion is more important?

Now reply and make it 15 posts!

regards

Dave

Tnx for your reply Dave!

I do appreciate all the information, and i'll base my choice on these opinions and experiences.
because i don't like to experiment and find out that i made the wrong choice( My wife would kill me:shhh:)

So if there are people with same or other experiences, i would like to here them:thumbup:

On my previous overland 4x4 (Hilux) i had Cooper STT Discoverer - which I highly recommend. They coped with the sand of the Gobi and icey roads of Russia. On a side note - i was pulled over by the Norwegian police around December time for not having winter tyres or chains on (at the time the 4x4 was half in a ditch)....I told them STT stood for Snow Terrain Tyre; they didn't seem convinced, but let me off.

As soon as I sort out the LC80 i'll put on the same or some S/T Maxx - 285/75/16.

I have no experience but are looking to put 35" tyres on my 80, and it looks like the only size available is 315/75/16 wonder what they will be like with an autobox?

IIRC the auto has taller final drives? Might be an excuse to fit a manual gearbox, then it would be a proper off road machine ;>)

regards

Dave

I really don't have any complaints with the standard gear ratio's

One moment i'm at a event offroading, and when i'm done i can hit the highway, and cruise at 135kmh with eas:clap:
works great for me.
The automatic transmission really works wel, and also offroad. Manual shift is so 2014:lol:

Pulling trailers is also easy, and i always have enough power.

You can go 315.70.17 too in order to get 35s on. That's what I have. But for my next trick, I might well go to the 16" version mentioned in cwc's post. I just like the look of the fat sidewalls. Fancy the Mickey Thomson ATZ

I went with 33's on my first 80 and they were great. No problems with the auto box.

Anything less than 35s on mine now and it would look ridiculous.

P1010701.JPG

Anything less than 35s on mine now and it would look ridiculous.

View attachment 18745

Looks ridiculous as it is Chris, I think you should have it shipped to me and then it would be out of your sight and I would suffer for you ;>)

Love the 'bites' I got with the manual gearbox, I am sooooooo bad! :>)

regards

Dave

what size rims are you running the 285/75/16's on?

i'm also looking to get new tyres, currently on 275/70/16. bfg at's on 8x16 zero offset.
thinking of going for 285/75/16 bfg's either mud or at's,
but i'm thinking of putting them on 10x16 modulars with a -32 offset.
done a few measurements they should fit with no fouling....i'm running stock height,suspension.

has anybody run that set up?

I'm running 305s on 10 x 16s, very stable. I've never liked running treads that are wider than the rim...

I've 2 sets, one with BFG MUDs and the other with GG AT2s, soon to be changed with probably BFG ATs or maybe something else with stronger sidewalls (Mickey Ts perhaps?)

Weak sidewalls have been my only complaint with the GGs, otherwise a great all-round and hard wearing tyre.

I'm having the same drama

I have decided on the lift height at 2"
I want to stay with the standard 16" toyota alloys and go for a tyre that fills the arches well and i need it for a bias of say 70% road use.
33" or 35" do i need spacers

Argghhhh deciding is almost as difficult as paying for the stuff sometimes

Any advive or suggestions

IMG_0249.JPG

Running 305/70/16s on stock rims, +2" Pedder suspension kit - seems pretty well balanced to me...

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
well......
decided to get some new tyres and rims.
now running: 305/70/16 BFG muds on 10x16 steels et-32.
stock ride height, but uprated springs.
no rubbing at all, trimmed bumper a tad, but it wasn't really necessary.

tyres 094.jpgtyres 095.jpgtyres 096.jpg

Last edited:
Nice combo John, almost the same as me, only I have a 110mm suspension lift and run zero offset. I'm well pleased with the set-up.

I think you'll get some rubbing if yo do any extreme flexing though. If you don't do much serious offroad it won't bother you.

But it would be a shame to scar such nice new rubber :lol:

image.jpg

This is photo is with the GG AT2s for the "road", the BFG MUDs are stacked in the shed. Both sets are on 10" rims.

edit...

John, what did you have on the truck before these?

Last edited:
Back