Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

hi there

mate both very nice but please stick with the original engine

Giles

Giles,
I have decided to refresh and stay with the original engine for now. The FJ currently has a 3 speed box anyone out there with recommendations for 4 or 5 speed bolt on upgrade?
JLP

hi there

good choice your jeep is way to nice to molest to much. You should be able to bolt the 4 speed straight on, the 1968 we have just sold has a 4 speed from new.

Giles

Couple of very nice cars you have there!!! Keen to watch the rebuild process already...

hi there

good choice your jeep is way to nice to molest to much. You should be able to bolt the 4 speed straight on, the 1968 we have just sold has a 4 speed from new.

Giles

jeep? JEEEPPPPPPP!!!! FFS:angry-screaming:

always had a soft spot for the old 240, but that ones boodly lovely:thumbup:

Last edited:
Jeep Has always rhymed with heep for me ever since I met a modern jeep cherokee, the original willys is a phenomenal machine which is probably the only jeep I could ever see myself owning but to call a land cruiser a jeep is as bad as calling a land cruiser a land rover for me sadly.
Sorry.

Ready for media blasting!

I loaded the body today to transport to the soda blast shop next week!:icon-wink:

DSCN2032 (800x600).jpgDSCN2033 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2034 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2036 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2039 (768x1024).jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks very clean I hope there are no gremlins to be found under the paint :)

That's incredible from 1972, I was rustier than that at 42 years old!

It's a beaut, can't wait to see it refurbed :dance: Interested to see whether you'll keep it classic... :think:

Steam cleaned the frame and engine last week. Ready to pull out the engine and drive line for restoration. I do not believe that I will overhaul the engine. Just ran a compression test lowest 140# highest 155#. I will pull off the intake and exhaust manifolds reseal, side cover etc... for powder coat and paint.

That's incredible from 1972, I was rustier than that at 42 years old!

It's a beaut, can't wait to see it refurbed :dance: Interested to see whether you'll keep it classic... :think:

I have decided to keep it classic. Anyone need a set of wagon wheels and new BF Goodrich tires?

Put the engine on the engine stand this evening starting on the refresh. Does anyone know the original color for the engine on the 1972 F engine?
Thanks JLP

I found that the color of the engine is black and the fan is orange. I have the engine on the stand, all covers and pans removed, ready to go for powder coat. I just ordered factory body and engine manuals as well as seal kits for the engine, transmission and transfer case. I also new body mount kit. Once the frame is powder coated and the body is painted this should get it back together for the next round of parts to be ordered.

Balance of body parts to blast today and checked on parts currently at body shop for primer. All is going well. Following some mods to the frame it will go to the blast shop. Photos to follow. The frame mods will consist of mounts for a new power steering gear box on the left front frame extension and removal of the factory gear box mount. My problem is how to mount a power steering pump on the F engine. I purchased a ham can pump but believe that I may have to use a more modern remote reservoir style. Anyone with experience with this modification on an F engine?
JLP

Back from sandblast and in the body shop ;-)

The body is back from sandblast and in the body shop for prep and paint. The rust free body is priceless!:icon-cool:
fj40 SB 1a.jpgFJ40 SB 1b.jpgFJ40 SB 1c.jpgFJ40 SB 1d.jpgFJ40 SB 4.jpgFJ40 SB 5.jpg

With the sheet metal at the body shop, I worked on the engine today to get it refreshed for installation. I will be ordering the mounting plate and steering shaft for the power steering update then the frame will be ready for media blast and powder coat prior to the tub being ready for sitting on the frame.

Good to see progress; that shell looks like it just rolled out of the factory

Worked on F Engine Refresh today;-)

Worked all day on engine refresh. Almost ready to close it up!:icon-cool:
Engine Refresh1.jpgEngine Refresh2.jpg

Power Steering Conversion / Frame media blast.

I am working to get the drive-train and frame ahead of the body as to have a place to put it when complete. I started media blasting the frame today and started the installation of the brackets and hardware for the power steering upgrade. Time to hit the shower!:sleeping-sleep:
power steering conversion1.jpgframe blast1.jpegframe blast2.jpeg

Hi there

mate you look like you have done a really good job. Like to know what you are thinking about painting the frame with and are you going to put anything on the underneath of tub? i need to do a restoration in the UK and if i just paint her up as it left the factory with no protection she will start rusting away a few years later.

I have a 1969 in stock that has never been painted i could take some pictures of the engine and fan if you want to see what colour they were originally painted in.

Giles

Back