Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

Hi there

mate you look like you have done a really good job. Like to know what you are thinking about painting the frame with and are you going to put anything on the underneath of tub? i need to do a restoration in the UK and if i just paint her up as it left the factory with no protection she will start rusting away a few years later.

I have a 1969 in stock that has never been painted i could take some pictures of the engine and fan if you want to see what colour they were originally painted in.

Giles

Giles,
We are using an epoxy primer on all of the parts. The bottom will be primed, painted to body color and then for sound as well as protection we are going to coat it with Rino Liner. The body shop doing the paint is a Rino Liner dealer. We are going to do the same to the interior floors. We are going to color match the interior floors and are still deciding on color match or black on the bottom. What are your thoughts on the color match or black on the bottom?
Jerry

Just had a look at the Rhino product, I have not seen it before it looks really good. I have seen similar products that end up really think and look terrible when finished but that Rhino stuff looks like a perfect barrier to rust without spoiling a high end finish. Think I will copy you and use it as well. For me I think the bottom of the tub must be colour matched, I think if you do it in black it will look like you are hiding something and you will loose the contrast between body and frame if you know what i mean.

giles

Just had a look at the Rhino product, I have not seen it before it looks really good. I have seen similar products that end up really think and look terrible when finished but that Rhino stuff looks like a perfect barrier to rust without spoiling a high end finish. Think I will copy you and use it as well. For me I think the bottom of the tub must be colour matched, I think if you do it in black it will look like you are hiding something and you will loose the contrast between body and frame if you know what i mean.

giles

I agree that one would not want to give the impression that the heavy finish on the bottom of the tub is hiding something, especially when this is a rust free example. I did a similar finish on the my 72 Datsun 240Z restoration. I have been sure to document the restoration and condition just in the case that someone questions the under body treatment.
Jerry

Mat sounds like a mice life, you you ride around in the stunning Datsun and will soon have a gorgeous FJ40 to drop your boat in, my question must be is your boat also a classic?

Giles, my boat is an under used 1995 MAXUM which I purchased new. I might take on a classic wood once I retire to the lake. I am a 31 year firefighter in Indiana we have a home on a lake in Tennessee where we plan to retire next year. I hope to have the cruiser ready for the lake by then and it seems that it is well on schedule. Maybe a trip to the UK and Ireland as well who knows.
jlp

Mate that sounds a very nice life just let me know if you want to swap! Not sure what your knowledge is like on classic USA boats but have you heard of Garwood? Anyway I found one a few years ago in a barn its from 1928 and was even used in the war. It needs everything doing to her maybe one day I will do a full restoration of sell her to a collector

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 255
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Giles, do you have the history of it's use in WWII? I have a friend that collects tanks and other military relevant items. JLP

Hi there

the trailer it is on is an WW2 anti aircraft Bofor gun carriage, but more interestingly than that the 93 year old guy I purchased it from said it was used in operation Dynamo, I have not checked but apparently in the British Maritime Museum there is a special list that names the 700 private boats that took part in saving the British troops of the Dunkirk beaches.

I was wondering if that was the operation the boat was used in. I would like to share the boat and it's story with my friend. JLP

hi mate

this is her sister the only other Baby Gar Jr still to survive, she lives on Lake Tahoe she has always been there and never went to war. They tell me its worth about 250k USD unlike mine thats worth about £2.50

Giles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 251
Giles, restoring of this boat would be a retirement dream, that is for sure!
JLP

yeh would love to see her restored but not sure my pockets are that deep. I have got the engine and its pretty much restored, its a 208hp Scripps 6cylinder twin spark.

are you Datsun through and through? what do you think about 1970s BMW 3.0 CSI?? i would love one for every day and a cruiser of course

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 254
I like bemers and would love to have a 2002TII from that period. I would love to restore the boat and pull it behind a restored 1972 FJ40. That would be classic!!!!!

Body shop has made progress on the body prep. We are fitting the seats, seat belts etc... to make sure all the right holes are in all the right places and patching all holes for past roll bars etc... The frame will be ready for welding up the brackets for the power steering upgrade this holiday weekend then off to powder coat. I purchased a sand blast cabinet tonight and will finish up on all the small drive train parts this weekend. It is going to be a FJ40 holiday weekend. Pics to follow!

power steering box mock up1.jpg

Power Steering mock up using mounting kit from Cruiser Outfitters utilizing the GM Saganaw steering box and pump.

Built rolling stand for the frame. A little more blasting and it is off to powder coat.
frame blast 3.jpg

Finished sandblasting frame, mock up complete for the power steering upgrade. To the body shop tomorrow for the welding of the mounting plates then touch up the sandblasting and off to powder coat.
image (9).jpegimage (8).jpegimage (7).jpeg

While waiting for the frame to be powder coated I have been sandblasting the front drive line parts and painting them. I have ordered parts to rebuild the front brakes should be here tomorrow. It will all come together..... I will try and post some more pics soon.
JLP

Final details and ready to go to powder coat!

It has taken more time than expected, as usual,:icon-wink: to get the FJ40 frame ready for powder coat. The final stages were getting the power steering upgrade brackets and tubes welded to the frame, grinding and re-blasting those areas and then mocking up the steering shaft so as to allow for modification of the front pan. Most of the upgrades that I have seen do not use the pan but I wanted to keep it so modifications were necessary. It is scheduled to go to powder coat on Tuesday. I have completed the rebuild and painting of the front axle assembly and will start on the rear later today. I hope to be ready to start re-assembly of the drive line first week of October.:think:
image (8).jpegimage (9).jpegimage (10).jpegimage (11).jpeg

While waiting for the frame to get back from powder coat I am going to try and reproduce the center horn button. I have ordered the casting and mold making materials necessary and will post more as the process moves forward. I will also have to make a vacuum chamber. I don't know how it will turn out but I do know that there are no NOS horn buttons out there for my restoration project.

image (12).jpeg

This is my starting point. I will cast my mold from this original part. It is in good condition with the exception of the crazing of the plastic.

Last edited:
Back