Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odometer and trip odometer stopped working!

LC80series

Country Flag
ecuador
My odometer and trip odometer stopped working, but the speedometer is still working. Any idea how it could be fixed? Could it be a worn gear, and if so how could I get to it? I assume the speedometer cable is good and the problem is in the front dash. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers.

Without any info on your 80 I will do the best I can to answer. The early 80's were cable driven speedometers, if the cable broke everything stopped. You have a speed reading so yours is electric and it is quite fragile but, the both the odometer and trip carriers for the cogs are also just as fragile, you might be able to glue them back again to keep them in mesh assuming this is the problem? I did envisage taking the assembly apart on mine to do exactly that but since a recent health issue my right hand is not super steady as there really is not a lot of space in there, I purchased a secondhand speedometer from a MUD member in the UK but due to customs problems here in Spain it has been returned to Ireland, once located I hope to see it very soon.

If you have patience, good eyes and a steady hand then give it a go, getting the speedometer head out form the binnacle is easy enough but clear a workspace and have plenty of light as well, good luck if you take it on.

Regards

Dave

Could be a broken track but the experience I had was with dead speedo and operating odometer.
My trip counter has been broken for about 15 years. They get brittle and don’t like spirited use of the reset button. If you do take it apart, you’ll be surprised to find another non displaying counter with a pair of wires going to it. This does the count for the timing belt light and has a tiny reset button that looks like a zero mph stop for the needle.

Yep both the reset and trip buttons on mine were broken as was the carrier for the cogs, I do think this is an age related thing for sure. being a little heavy handed simply finishes them off. The reset for the belt can be fixed easy enough but unless you have super nimble fingers then I wold not bother with the rest.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you very much for time you spent writing me back, I appreciate. I do think that a broken nylon/plastic gear should be the main reason. Anyway, l’a keep you posted since I decided to go ahead and remove the instrument panel. To be continued…

@ Dave, I have a ‘93 80 series petrol engine, automatic tranny with 105 000 miles on it. I kept everything stock. Since I bought it 12 months ago, I refurbished my brakes, changed the leather interior on all 3 rows, had it repainted at Toyota last month and changed all 5 tyres for BFG TA02. Slowly but surely it will become new again! Cheers.

Back