Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oh Jeez not more tyre questions

General Grabber AT2's are a crap tire...

Superb for a Hilux or Colorado but rubbish on an 80 series.
I have them on the truck and can't wait to get rid.

They are ok driving and grip no problem, they seem to soft a compound for the weight of the 80, the slightest bit of off-road play sees them damaged.
As soon as the slightest damage appears they give you a steering wobble.. etc.. etc..

I am looking to get the coopers when funds permit in 33", the fuel economy and gearing seems to be best at 33" tires.

whatever you do Chris don't buy AT2's.. :D

just my 2 cents worth.

They don't do the ST in 285 of course now that I have checked. Well for every opinion there is always n opposite isn't there. I would put BFGs on and that would settle the argument - but cost wise for 5 it's a big chunk of money more. This is not a daily drive as I have said many times and cost is important, but mistakes can be costly too. IN general the GG AT2 gets great reviews by many. I appreciate the points about off road damage, but I don't plan a great deal of that. Not anymore really. I could go BFG AT in 255 - there's a thought! Quick look on Camskill to see if they do them. Or Sinton of course.

Chris

No they don't . Why the heck not. They do the MT and KM2.

Plenty of time to make choices. I want to get the wheels powder coated before I swap anyway. No point doing two tyre swaps.

Chris

what about maxiss? they seem a good tire from what I hear...

Chris, I have been toying with getting my wheels done, what sort of prices have you found? I have been quoted about £50 per wheel including tyre removal and refitting. What colour are you going with. I saw some dark grey on a white truck and they looked very smart

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didn't use my GG2's extensively off road so can't really say how tough or not I think they are. Gary has problems with cracking side wall(s) on his coopers and picked up some side wall damage in the Lakes last year IIRC when I was still running my GG2's (no damage to the GG AT2's). I don't think the GG2's are intrinsicaly weak.

Same as you £50 per wheel so far, but that's for a proper refinishing job. Gav uses someone who does a cheaper job. My local coater will just blast them clean and then coat them, I know. No question of finishing them with a filler. Maybe that will do for me. Was going with black. Will get the steel spare done too.

Maybe I just need to save pennies and go safe with BFG on the tyres.

C

Chicago Coatings near Ashton under Lyne - £15 a rim for shot blast & powder coat...

Just add to mix of positive and negative feedback on tyres - the BFG ATs have been having issues with the sidewalls cracking too, according to Andy at AJS amongst others. Personally I don't think the BFG AT justifies the premium over the GG AT2 - same tread pattern, BFG maybe a harder compound so longer lasting but the AT2 probably offers better grip :?:

What about the Toyo AT - similar price to the AT2?

Dave Burgess said:
Prompted by another thread, here are the people I use for my powder coating needs...

I'm using a local company who do industrial and drop-in customer work called Custom Wytelynes Coatings in Chatham. I've had a few bits done by them (motorcycle luggage rack, set of steel wheels, obscure mounting brackets) and they've done very nicely. £35 a wheel for blasting and coating, they do alloy and steel (different ovens and blast media). http://www.custom-powder.co.uk/

Dave posted this in recommended buyers and sellers and I am contemplating using them.

I saw Dave's post too - they are certainly more local to you than Chicago Coatings!!!

I have had a price of £35 per rim from a more local powder coaters to me so thats in the ball park :)

I like the performance and toughness of the Toyo's, in the LT variant at least as that's what I have. I know there are guys on ih8mud have been running them in tough conditions and their only complaint seems to be they wear out quickly like 20k and it might be time to change. I would guess that depends how many of your miles are motorway and how many are fast twisty roads.

In France we had one section where we had to squeeze through a tight rocky section, some narrower than the track of my 100 and some contact just because the back end tends to cop it on a LWB, so the tyres were squashed right against the rocks to the point we rode up the rocks on the wheels in places it was so tight and there's not a mark on the Toyo's though the wheels are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I like the performance and toughness of the Toyo's, in the LT variant at least as that's what I have. I know there are guys on ih8mud have been running them in tough conditions and their only complaint seems to be they wear out quickly like 20k and it might be time to change. I would guess that depends how many of your miles are motorway and how many are fast twisty roads.

In France we had one section where we had to squeeze through a tight rocky section, some narrower than the track of my 100 and some contact just because the back end tends to cop it on a LWB, so the tyres were squashed right against the rocks to the point we rode up the rocks on the wheels in places it was so tight and there's not a mark on the Toyo's though the wheels are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

they sound ok I might have a look into that myself...

Maybe a bit left field, does anybody have any experience of the Mickey Thompson ATZ, looks like an interesting tyre

Julian said:
Maybe a bit left field, does anybody have any experience of the Mickey Thompson ATZ, looks like an interesting tyre

Slicky Mickey's? They've upped their game in the last couple of years and have managed to rid themselves of the "all show, no go" reputation. I've only seen them on lighter 4x4's - YJ Wranglers, Suzuki Vitara's and the like but they do seem to perform quite well. I don't have any first hand experience though.

Hi Chris,

I ran 255/85 Cooper STTs for a while, they were fine but it was a relatively light 80 with only basic recovery gear and an ARB bumper. I think a taller narrower tyre does have some advantages off road, but between a 255/85 and 285/75 these might be minimal?

Having said that I'll be putting some BFG KM 255/85s on the blue car soon, so if you're still undecided come October you can have a go/look (assuming I've got it finished by then...).

One factor might be that if you fit 255s it will look just right with the wheel arch flares removed.

All the best,
Toby

Hi Chris,
I have had the STs on 120 80 and hilux over the last few years,and they are a great tyre. Also travelled all over Oz on them, never a problem. Just changed hilux to KM2s,which are awesome, and quieter, but yes, more pricey.
Wouldnt hesitate with coopers, and go 255 85. Will go the same way with size when i replace 80s tyres.
Wouldnt go Micky Ts ATZ, didnt do too well in tyre test in my aussie bible, 4wd action MT v AT comparison.

Tyres are always a huge debate, good luck. :lol:

Tony.

Huge debate? Not arf. I'm taking paracetamol, on the hour, every hour. I trust BFG 100%. Been there, tried and tested. Faultless. But is the price worth it for me with this vehicle?
Piggy bank looking worried. :shock:

AT pattern. Fine. ST pattern. Hmm me like. KM2 - well, tempting. Size? Anyone going to flip a coin. Truth is that with the sizes and brands that I have in mind, you can't really go wrong. Not drastically. Just wasn't blown away by the MTs last time. Performance of the MT over the std AT was not actually significant in my view. Still had to run out the winch on just as many occasions. Maybe the Autumn fairy will bring me some KM2s. In 255?

C

Chris said:
Maybe the Autumn fairy will bring me some KM2s. In 255?
:cool: Aha the man is seeing sense finally :lol: :lol:

That's the route I would go - benefit of apparently quiet on-road manners and reasonable grip etc and MT performance off-road, all in a good, tough package. Yes, a few more £££ but hopefully the quality and enjoyment out of 4 or 5 years of use is pay back enough :mrgreen:

Back