Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Re-filling disposable Propane cylinders

Must resist, must resist ..

FYI Coleman fold and go currently £20 (plus £5pa for discount card) at go outdoors. fuel cans are £8 for 1.17l (465g)
You try to buy one :icon-rolleyes: I didn't want the fold and go one due to its depth. The one I wanted is also in the Go-Outdoors sale reduced from £80 to £20, but can you get one? Can you Fukuyama as like!!! Unless you live in Swindon or very very patient, but I fit neither of those :laughing-rolling: So £18 for a used one from off of the bay with two full gas cylinders it was :thumbup:

Can pick one up tomorrow from all 3 of my local stores. all within 25 miles. Anyone want one I am happy to buy and post on.

I'm all over the country this week and checked availability on line. No problem. I looked at the reviews for the Coleman dual fuel burner while I was on there and realised that I didn't need another stove. £20 is a great deal, but I think I'll just spend that on fuel for my Coleman instead.

But if I am passing I might call in ...

Well that is a very kind offer and if either of you guys are passing your local store and have a discount card and really don't mind dropping in for me ill have one please :icon-smile: Not the folding one mind, but this one the Coleman Perfect Flow 2 Burner Stove £19.97 http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/perfect-flow-2-burner-stove-p153186 :thumbup: The folding one is available nationally, but the one I want is only available from Wigan and Wakefield :icon-cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The nice thing about the folding one is you can get big pans centred on the burner, on both sides at the same time. Other twin burners seem to be a bit cramped if you're using a domestic sized frying pan one side and a big pot the other?

See my comment about having a cast iron skillet that spans both burners. When a monster fry is the only option
Once really hot you can back off the burners too and only one thing to wash up or let to dog lick clean obviously
Near a Go Outdoors in the morning. Oh dear.

See my comment about having a cast iron skillet that spans both burners.
Saw the comment first time around, you're talking about 1 big thing at a time, I'm talking about 2 big things at once :icon-wink:

Fine if you have round bacon I guess Jon.

Well it's similar but mine is more just a plate. That's a bit fancy.

Went to GO in Milton Keynes this morning - no stock!

Following my recent Wales trip I decided to look into upgrading my Bistro Butane powered stoves to something that will give better performance in cooler conditions. Don't get me wrong my two Bistro stoves have given me excellent service and so long as you always have a spare cylinder either in your pocket or laid next to a lit stove keeping it warm you could keep swapping them out when the one in use gets to cold to work efficiently. For the first time ever though on this trip I had only two cylinders and one of these was pretty much empty and of no use in the swapping process! After getting home I decided to have a look at my options for improving my cooking efficiency in colder conditions and have bought a Coleman Perfectflow 2 burner propane stove to have a play with. Now the little propane cylinders that this stove uses are not the cheapest at about £9 each and are only twice the size of the butane cylinders that I currently use that cost about £2.50 each. I hope that the Propane cylinders will be slightly more efficient at cooking than the Butane ones and hence will give slightly better endurance than twice that of the Butane ones. I have looked into running it from off of a 3.9Kg CalorGas Propane cylinder as I already have one and they are less than £15 for a re-fill. A bit cumbersome to carry though just for a weekend away and so I shall probably stick with using the smaller Coleman ones. I then stumble over the fact that in America it seems to be very common practice to re-fill the disposable Propane cylinders from a larger Propane cylinder with a whole array of advice and adapters available to this end.

This is a link to an adaptor for sale with a video of how to use it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261057532314?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And here is a place selling an whole array of adapters and gas fittings that are of great interest.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/all-mr.-heater-parts-fittings-hoses-37-1.html

But this has to be my favourite link with a lot of discussion both positive and negative at the bottom.

http://www.navagear.com/2009/08/27/how-to-refill-disposable-propane-cylinders/

im very tempted to set myself up to do this and wondered what you lot think about doing this and if infact any of you already do?

I have used that adaptor for a few years now, all I do is put the bottle to be filled in the freezer to cool down so the incoming liquid has less of a chance to expand , then I fill it up , it just equalises pressure within does not actually fill it, but it works a treat for me
cheers. Graham

Back