Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VSC/TRAC & VSC OFF warning. Bad Fridays

Yes and no! One of the product code numbers that Jemca gave me (the first time round) related to an universal c02 sensor which would have needed to be adapted before fitment. I smelt a rat so went ahead and ordered three sensors from Sparkplugs, two direct fit and the one universal that Jemca Toyota had recommended. Yesterday the two direct fit ones, did exactly what they said on the tin and went in no problem. After inspection of the two sensors that came out, I've now decided to change the other two and just needed to confirm with Jemca if the product codes were the same.....I'm going to read up on the law on non disclosure of consumer information because I really don't like the way I've been treated.

Last edited:
I'm going to read up on the law on non disclosure of consumer information becvause I really don't like the way I've been treated.

I suspect that the answers you will find, you will like even less.

Dealers are a business, not a charity. What you're saying is "I'm not going to give you any money, but I want you to make the effort to help me so I can spend my money elsewhere". You're appealing to their goodwill, and that usually depends on how valuable they view your past and future custom.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but is this info not on TOYODIY ? :think:

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but is this info not on TOYODIY ? :think:

Yep and lucky for me Ian Rubie is already on the case getting me on board. Must admit I really would like to find a way of performing some of the diagnostics myself without having to crawl into Mr T.

Charles Clarke Wolverhampton. What a small world. In 1974 my friend bought a new MG from them. After the first service the engine ran the BE's and the pistons seized. No oil ! They blamed a faulty oil filter but knowing the design of the filter assy I told him this was not possible and they had not located the filter bowl into the body recess where the o ring was. So they fitted a new engine FOC. But what basic form of life could even make this mistake. A bacteria perhaps.

can you check all fuses and battery voltage, engine off and whilst running. Its unusual for both sensors to be faulty at the same time, I do not think replacing the sensors will solve the issue with the information given. You can test the O2 sensors too.

edit - sorry I just re read your original post and I had misread what you wrote, but test the following;

the catalytic converter itself
ECU Coolant temperature sensor

I believe your fault lies within the EFI system but not the O2 sensors, the O2 sensor fault code is just the product of another fault. You need to rule out the impossible so your just left with the possible, internet diagnosing is also very hard for obvious reasons
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
can you check all fuses and battery voltage, engine off and whilst running. Its unusual for both sensors to be faulty at the same time, I do not think replacing the sensors will solve the issue with the information given. You can test the O2 sensors too.

Ok! I'll inform Dave about your concerns and get him to run a full series of test as described. My truck is over 14 years old so I think it's high time ALL of the sensors were changed irrespective of the condition of the ones that are taken out. Alas, you can never be too careful.......

Ok! I'll inform Dave about your concerns and get him to run a full series of test as described. My truck is over 14 years old so I think it's high time ALL of the sensors were changed irrespective of the condition of the ones that are taken out. Alas, you can never be too careful.......

sorry I just re read your original post and I had misread what you wrote, but test the following;

I believe your fault lies within the EFI system but not the O2 sensors, the O2 sensor fault code is just the product of another fault. You need to rule out the impossible so your just left with the possible, internet diagnosing is also very hard for obvious reasons :D

Last edited:
OK! Dave will.........

sorry I just re read your original post and I had misread what you wrote, but test the following;

I believe your fault lies within the EFI system but not the O2 sensors, the O2 sensor fault code is just the product of another fault. You need to rule out the impossible so your just left with the possible, internet diagnosing is also very hard for obvious reasons :D

Well this morning Dave replaced the third sensor as the screw thread for the fourth sensor had totally corroded to next to nothing and we really didn't want replace the entire cat converter. Anyway, apart from disconnecting the battery overnight, are there any other tried and tested methods of manually resetting the ECU to shutdown these damn VSC TRAC/VSC ON warning lights.....????

Did the full reboot thing over night by disconnecting the battery terminals. This morning when I put everything back together to reboot the ECU the dreaded warning lights came back on (AGAIN). I'm now at my witts end. Every bone in my body is telling me that the car is OK but these damn warning light say different.....I've got to get this resolved......

B251 & B252 and Blink Code 28, have these been resolved now?

and now its just the VSC/TRAC issue?

Did the full reboot thing over night by disconnecting the battery terminals. This morning when I put everything back together to reboot the ECU the dreaded warning lights came back on (AGAIN). I'm now at my witts end. Every bone in my body is telling me that the car is OK but these damn warning light say different.....I've got to get this resolved......
You need to check the codes again to see what it still thinks is wrong. Annoying but just have to be patient tracking it down.

You need to check the codes again to see what it still thinks is wrong. Annoying but just have to be patient tracking it down.

Another £70 to Mr T for doing nothing, I don't think so. There must be someone in North East London who can help me find out what is going on? Where art thee Warren?

It is much faster to hook up your own 30 $ code reader than going to Mr T.

Now my rear fog light switch is stuck on............Ebay, here I come, again........

Now my rear fog light switch is stuck on............Ebay, here I come, again........

You're not having much luck, are you :icon-rolleyes:.

I use Servisol Electrical contact spray and lubricant whenever I touch electrical plugs & sockets (cars and bikes - not mains :eusa-whistle:).

I find it very good for freeing-off switches and the like.

Might be worth a shot :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Hey Dude, forgive me if I am talking bo**ocks, as I know nothing of the system,but you still have lights on after replacing 2 o2 sensors. When I replaced mine on another vehicle, the lights/system had to be reset - replacing the sensor, which was knackered, did not put the lights out! Just a thought, sorry if irrelavent.

John

At this point NOTHING is irrelevant!

Hey Dude, forgive me if I am talking bo**ocks, as I know nothing of the system,but you still have lights on after replacing 2 o2 sensors. When I replaced mine on another vehicle, the lights/system had to be reset - replacing the sensor, which was knackered, did not put the lights out! Just a thought, sorry if irrelavent.

John

I'm with John in the aint got a clue category but may i suggest there are plenty of companies out there that specialize in removing cat converters in favour of a straight through pipe and i would assume they must be clued in about the electrickery your having problems with ?

Back