Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch carrier for Fiery (née Free Steel...........)

looks very nice - bet you cant wait to test it out

looks very nice - bet you cant wait to test it out
Your not wrong there Andy :icon-biggrin: Could be months before I need a winch though, bloody Land Cruisers, no fun :eusa-whistle: :p :icon-biggrin:

Do you have any photos of how you TBR winch tray fitted Andy ?

Electrics :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1801_zpsbcdbd1f7.jpg

IMG_1802_zpsba1665a3.jpg

IMG_1803_zps55c5639d.jpg

IMG_1804_zpsd02b2515.jpg

IMG_1805_zps97db3b8b.jpg

IMG_1807_zps7fce3a86.jpg

IMG_1810_zps26203c29.jpg

IMG_1811_zps20433728.jpg

IMG_1812_zps450ecd38.jpg

IMG_1815_zps09a3ba31.jpg

IMG_1816_zps53b16eff.jpg

IMG_1817_zpse6b01c4d.jpg

IMG_1818_zps8d817182.jpg

IMG_1819_zpsb3c27e6a.jpg

IMG_1820_zpsd7d4a687.jpg

IMG_1821_zpsc8062905.jpg

IMG_1822_zps46a6516a.jpg

IMG_1823_zpsd9dfd518.jpg

IMG_1824_zps0dd72b1a.jpg

IMG_1825_zps7712468b.jpg

IMG_1826_zps35cebf79.jpg

IMG_1828_zps10288ab6.jpg

IMG_1829_zpsa4326c6e.jpg

IMG_1830_zps4800c617.jpg

IMG_1831_zpsf388122f.jpg

IMG_1832_zps6d8e69e1.jpg

IMG_1833_zps66461c9e.jpg

IMG_1834_zpsea2989ca.jpg

IMG_1835_zps1e4239f4.jpg

IMG_1836_zpsf15acecc.jpg

IMG_1837_zpsf357ce7c.jpg

IMG_1838_zpsf8735b56.jpg

IMG_1839_zps6eb06f79.jpg

IMG_1840_zps51c40d2d.jpg

IMG_1841_zps6c7f2f36.jpg

IMG_1842_zpseec0f3f1.jpg

IMG_1843_zpsa2494e39.jpg

IMG_1844_zps2bb87098.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsac1fe31d.jpg

IMG_1847_zps83a33796.jpg

She lives :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Steve, if I pay your travel, will you come and wire my winches in like that? Wow, that is the best installation I think I have ever seen. Now you might sense a 'but' coming here. And you'd be right. All the sexy stuff and then you use a £4.99 isolator? My experience of those rally style (I stress - style) isolators has been one of misery. Only last weekend we had to use jump leads to bridge one to run a winch. They are poorly built inside and do have a tendency to let you down at the precise point that you need them. Truth is, I think, that they are very variable. They all look the same, but not made the same. Just worth considering how good yours is, before it ends up as the weak point on a tremendous installation. Mounted inside away from weather they are just about OK. But where water can get at them, they are very vulnerable.

Chris

Sorry, one more thing - those remotes are pretty good for the cash, but the black box does NOT like water. Trust me. I had a pretty serious failure of one of mine. What you can do, is take the box, get a spare male plug from Goodwinch and wire the black box into it. That way, when you want to use the winch, you plug the aerial into the solenoid box instead of the wandering lead. Works a treat.

Also put some proper auto terminal factory crimpers on your Christmas list.You'll never look back. Those horrible cheap crimp things are an abomination.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
superb wiring job! like Chris says he most insulated job i have seen

i have pics of my TBR winch mount fitted look at some of my trip reports or greenlane reports :), but not the install process.
it is Chris's old TBR mount and winch that was in lil'blue and he posted an install process on "the other site" when he did it

Superb work Steven! :clap:

Anyone would think your a qualified sparky! :lol:

Regarding the kill switch. mine is only a £4.99 ebay job and its still going strong 4 years on. But i guess there may be poor quality ones out there that look very similar. :think:

So when do we get to see it all finished with the plasma rope and winch hook on? :eusa-whistle:

You realise it would only be right to go on an extreme laning trip after all this hard work to test the winch is working properly? November? :violin:

Steve, if I pay your travel, will you come and wire my winches in like that? Wow, that is the best installation I think I have ever seen
Lol :icon-biggrin: If it wasn't for my family commitment I'd be happy to pop up and re-wire your winch install for you :icon-biggrin: It's not difficult though, but even for me takes a lot more time to do than you'd expect and requires a lot of undoing and re-doing and unplanned alteration to accommodate the unforeseen :icon-smile: Thank you again for the compliment :icon-biggrin: It means a lot :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Now you might sense a 'but' coming here. And you'd be right. All the sexy stuff and then you use a £4.99 isolator? My experience of those rally style (I stress - style) isolators has been one of misery. Only last weekend we had to use jump leads to bridge one to run a winch. They are poorly built inside and do have a tendency to let you down at the precise point that you need them. Truth is, I think, that they are very variable. They all look the same, but not made the same. Just worth considering how good yours is, before it ends up as the weak point on a tremendous installation. Mounted inside away from weather they are just about OK. But where water can get at them, they are very vulnerable
I hear what your saying here :icon-exclaim: It's my first one of these switches and when I was looking to buy one I found it difficult to find anything any different in quality between them, they all seem to be around £6 :icon-exclaim: I so nearly bought a marine style battery isolator like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-0-...cessories_SM&hash=item1c2084e241#ht_541wt_906 but at four times the price and as I'm trying to get this done as cheaply as possible for now I went with the cheaper rally style one. Certainly an item for upgrade in the future. Luckily I do intend on mounting it under the bonnet :icon-biggrin:

Sorry, one more thing - those remotes are pretty good for the cash, but the black box does NOT like water. Trust me. I had a pretty serious failure of one of mine. What you can do, is take the box, get a spare male plug from Goodwinch and wire the black box into it. That way, when you want to use the winch, you plug the aerial into the solenoid box instead of the wandering lead. Works a treat
Your not wrong there m8 :icon-biggrin: I paid just £18 for a set with two remotes with batteries and the receiver delivered for free :shock: There's certainly no arguing with the value :icon-biggrin: That's a great idea with regards the plug from GoodWinch, but again another part to buy and his delivery charges do seem a little high (£14 + VAT) for smaller items (Plug is just a Fiver) :icon-exclaim: Again as its mounted under the bonnet in a box should afford it some descent protection, but I shall also give it a good spray with some ignition sealer following your warning :icon-biggrin:

Also put some proper auto terminal factory crimpers on your Christmas list.You'll never look back. Those horrible cheap crimp things are an abomination
Lol :icon-biggrin: You've said this before Chris. You do like your toys M8 :icon-biggrin: I've been using these crimps for years both personally and commercially and can't ever recall of any trouble with them. I however have proper set of Ratchet crimps for them. If you find the plastic shroud that offensive you can cut it off after crimping and in fact there's one just like this on my Neg terminal. Id be interested to see a photo of your Automotive kit though Chris :icon-biggrin:

Superb work Steven! :clap:
Cheers m8 :icon-biggrin:

Anyone would think your a qualified sparky! :lol:
Who is :shifty: :icon-smile:

Regarding the kill switch. mine is only a £4.99 ebay job and its still going strong 4 years on. But i guess there may be poor quality ones out there that look very similar. :think:
I think that you may be right by the sounds of things, but I'm so sure it's that easy to tell if you have a good'un or not.

So when do we get to see it all finished with the plasma rope and winch hook on? :eusa-whistle:
Today :icon-biggrin: Infact as soon as I've finished typing these responses :icon-biggrin: May set up a tarp first though :think: :shifty:

You realise it would only be right to go on an extreme laning trip after all this hard work to test the winch is working properly? November? :violin:
Yes it would be great :icon-biggrin: I've spoken with Pete and he seems interested. Just need to get some Queen clearance, she didn't seem so interested :icon-smile:

Steve i have followed your thread with great interest it has been well presented and informative well done mate excellent job
Martin

Steve i have followed your thread with great interest it has been well presented and informative well done mate excellent job
Martin
Thanks Martin :icon-biggrin:

Winch rope on :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1848_zpsf734a75a.jpg

IMG_1851_zps761d8daa.jpg

IMG_1852_zpsf0ed16b2.jpg

IMG_1849_zps90fc7b57.jpg

To terminate the synthetic rope to a TDS winch yoy seperate 100mm of the strands, cut two out then I used a wire brush to strip out the strands before taping up :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1850_zps363ed924.jpg

IMG_1853_zps55addf45.jpg

IMG_1854_zps17af8781.jpg

IMG_1855_zpsf0b95d1e.jpg

IMG_1856_zpsf1b1e2d3.jpg

IMG_1857_zpse4aff0ed.jpg

IMG_1858_zps8878b14a.jpg

IMG_1859_zps7ac02b18.jpg

IMG_1860_zps3ea015c1.jpg

IMG_1861_zpsc79a572e.jpg

IMG_1862_zpsdb323766.jpg

IMG_1863_zpse89a9bf0.jpg

I really like your electrical installation, could you rewire my split charge system:icon-biggrin:

One question though, where did you get the rubber that protects the cable form sharp edges from or what is it called?
IMG_1835_zps1e4239f4.jpg

Last edited:
Back