Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch carrier for Fiery (née Free Steel...........)

10/10 there Steve. Absolutely top notch. Looks like a really proper job. Last word on the crimpers - you know that you don't use the plastic insulated connectors? I'll shove up a pic of what one looks like when I go in the garage later. They really are far better then than flat crimp type. Just adds an extra level of professionalism to what is already a superb job. They crimp the wire and outer sheath separately.

Chris

I really like your electrical installation
Thank you Rob :icon-biggrin:

could you rewire my split charge system:icon-biggrin:
It really isn't very difficult to do, you just need patients and the willingness to do it 2/3/4 times to get it just right:icon-biggrin:

One question though, where did you get the rubber that protects the cable form sharp edges from or what is it called?
IMG_1835_zps1e4239f4.jpg
I bought that edging strip to do another job on my previous truck, the Suzuki and just had some left over that I used for this. I have used a bit of 2/3 core flex in the past, slit in a straight line down its length and then glued onto the offending edge :icon-biggrin:

I got it from Merlin Motorsport http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/TRIM-Door-&-Edge-Seal/c516_521/index.html

Here's a photo of the original job I bought the edging for;

Too finish off the edge of the arch extensions :icon-smile:

P2150163.jpg

10/10 there Steve. Absolutely top notch. Looks like a really proper job. Last word on the crimpers - you know that you don't use the plastic insulated connectors? I'll shove up a pic of what one looks like when I go in the garage later. They really are far better then than flat crimp type. Just adds an extra level of professionalism to what is already a superb job. They crimp the wire and outer sheath separately
Thank again Chris :icon-smile: I shall look forward to the photo :icon-biggrin:

Steve, these are the crimpers. You just bare the end of the wire, put the terminal in the jaws, push the wire into the terminal and - crunch. You get a rolled crimp.

P1010064.jpg

You can get a wide variety of terminals from spades, to bullets and tabs etc

P1010065.jpg

Plus the insulating gel sleeves

And then a crimp looks like this

P1010066.jpg

With sleeve on

P1010067.jpg

Chris

Thanks for the link Steve, do you know if it was the standard one: http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6066/PLASTIC-U-EDGING-PER-1/2-METRE/product_info.html or the reinforced stuff:http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6065/EDGE-TRIM-(REINFORCED)-PER-1/2-METRE/product_info.html

I need to to stop hydraulic hoses and heavy gauge cabling with protection wearing through so not sure which one I should go for...

I know you need patience to do a decent job but I just don't have enough of it these days, especially when I find out I need a certain component and need to wait 2 days to get it delivered as all nothing is open after 6pm in Bristol or weekends that sells what you need...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ive got one of those crimpers - but didnt know about those nifty gel sleeves - nice one

The man does not mess around when he does something.
My wiring starts off all neat and by the time I am finished, it's a rats nest :(

Very nice install !

especially when I find out I need a certain component and need to wait 2 days to get it delivered as all nothing is open after 6pm in Bristol or weekends that sells what you need...
You wouldn't have any problem buying ANYTHING here in China.
Days of the week mean nothing, Monday, through Sunday, all the same.
Generally stores close about 9:00pm to 10:00pm every evening.
The days are all the same, just the number changes.

What is a great idea here is, you get these "car spare / accessory areas."
They are brilliant, it is like an area with every single shop is a car shop.
Perhaps over 100 shops, for every make of vehicle, and any thing.

The reasoning behind this, as opposed to UK, where you might have 1 car shop here, and another one car shop 2 miles away, and another car shop 3 miles away, the reason is, that if any one, wants ANYTHING for ANY car, then we just have to go to that area.
It would be about the size of half mile square.
It draws all the buyers to that one area, and if your car shop isn't in THAT area, then you will get no customers at all.
I thinks it is a fantastic idea.

Gra.

I miss lloyds motor spares (I think it is called) near Wembley stadium, they are open 24/7 and have almost any tool and part you can think of. If only there were more places like that in the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Rob it,s midnight motors you mean and they are still there,

Graham i think that system operates in almost all 3rd world countries also goes for all the trades not just motor spares.

Ram

Ram, just googled it. Yup its Lloyd Motor Spares but the branch is called Midnight Motors. Bought loads of parts/tools from there just before I went to Mongolia. After 4pm on a Saturday in Bristol there is nothing apart from halfrauds.

Steve, these are the crimpers.......................
Ah yes, they are very pretty. I'm sure even my wife would be able to appreciate how beautiful they are :icon-biggrin:

The ones that I use look much the same with the plastic bit removed. The one to the right of the battery post in this photo is a yellow one with the plastic removed after crimping.

IMG_1870.jpg

I can see what you're saying though, very sexy m8 :thumbup:

I had to remove the front two belly pans to retrieve a couple of dropped items :icon-rolleyes: It's a good job that I did as there was a good 3/4Kgs of Welsh mud and stone sitting on top of them :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

That black plastic thing came out of the negative battery terminal that just does not tighten up correctly without it :!:

IMG_1869.jpg

I finished off the installation of the solenoid box and gave all of the innards a good spray with ignition sealer before closing the lid. You can see that I've piggy backed the control wiring for both the hand control socket and the remote handset receiver. I bought the winch second hand from off of eBay and as such it came without a roller fair-lead or a hand controller. I did look into buying a hand controller, but from either GoodWinch or WarriorWinches (previously Winch Solutions) they run up over £60 delivered, so I decided to rely on my £18 remote system with a bit of bent wire to short out the socket pins for back up. To help me identify the correct pins to short I put an appropriate dot of paint next to each pin :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

Mounting the cheapo Winch isolator :icon-biggrin:

I'd been racking my brain as to what I could use to mount this sensitive to damp penetration item and then while giving the kids their dinner it came to me in a moment of inspiration :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shifty: :eusa-whistle:

Twas a beautiful early evening here with bright warm sunshine and no rain, T-Shirt weather. 'Am pretty much ready for Lincomb apart from food and clothes, Fiery is facing the right direction all locked and loaded with the hand brake all adjusted and in top fettle, so little left to do but wait for the off and while the kids played in the garden post school. I was stood looking at the truck as you do with a beer in my hand and decided to add a couple of finishing touches to the winch project to kill a bit of time before sorting the kids tea out.

I've put a little cord loop on the isolator key so I can hang it in the engine bay ready for use and the little bit of beige plastic on another loop just behind it is a bit of a 5mm plastic construction spacer that holds the throttle cam open just enough to idle the engine at 1600rpm, just right for winching :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1972.jpg

I also popped an armored cable shroud over the top of the isolator to prevent any water ingress down the spindle hole when its not in use :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1975.jpg

It wasn't a perfect fit so I packed the the spindle out with a few turns of electrical insulation tape :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1974.jpg

The big picture :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1976.jpg

It was a beautiful late afternoon / early evening here with bright warm sunshine and no rain, T-Shirt weather. I'am pretty much ready for Lincomb apart from food and clothes, Fiery is facing the right direction all locked and loaded with the hand brake all adjusted and in top fettle, so little left to do but wait for the off :icon-biggrin: While the kids played in the garden post school I was stood looking at the truck as you do with a beer in my hand and decided to add a couple of finishing touches to the winch project to kill a bit of time before getting the kids their dinner.

I put a little cord loop on the isolator key so I can hang it in the engine bay ready for use :icon-biggrin: The little bit of beige plastic on another loop just behind it is a bit of a 5mm plastic construction spacer that holds the throttle cam open just enough to idle the engine at 1600rpm, just right for winching :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1972.jpg

I also popped an armored cable gland shroud over the top of the isolator to prevent any water ingress down the spindle hole when its not in use :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1975.jpg

It wasn't a perfect fit so I packed the the spindle out with a few turns of electrical insulation tape :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1974.jpg

The big picture :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1976.jpg

Then before I knew where I was my beer was finished and it was time for dinner :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Back