Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch carrier for Fiery (née Free Steel...........)

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.......I was at my m8's workshop the day before yesterday to find him talking about scraping a couple of 250x150x6mm steel box sections that had been used for gate posts. He hadn't finished speaking before I had one up into his saw and cut as big a bit off a I could :D

IMG_1558.jpg

Just need to find something to use it for now :D ;)

Awesome ideas lads :D

It would seem the possibilities are endless :D :D :D

If you cut it length ways along two of the corners you'd have two giant letter L's :text-lol:

Last edited:
should be useful for something, just can't think what! If you cut it length ways it will probably deform.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you put a straight edge against it it probably won't be quite straight. Box section tends to be quite stressed, unless it's cold drawn instead of welded?

Seems to be fine for what I'm going to use it for :D

If I were making a surface marking table I'm sure it wouldn't be the steel for the job :D :D :)

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Looking good. ;)

You going to have it finished in time for Lincomb? :cool:

Looking good. ;)
Thank you Ben :)

You going to have it finished in time for Lincomb? :cool:
I really do hope so, fingers crossed, but as always got loads to get done on the truck before then and no time to do it. Shan't get anything done this weekend as big family wedding today on Mersea island. My dads up from Cornwall and staying with us till Monday so...............Mmmmmmm!

edit - Giles came over yesterday for a look at the winch project as I called him to procure some steel. I mentioned November to him, he left with a glint in his eye :D :D :D

Last edited:
How are you going to attach your winch tray to the chassis rails?

Looking at your pics above i can only see one bolt hole each side. :)

nice project - look forward to reading updates

How are you going to attach your winch tray to the chassis rails?

Looking at your pics above i can only see one bolt hole each side. :)
There's not many options as I'm sure that J66P will tell you, but having now looked at four other designs for mounting a winch tray to the Collie they all use the two bolts on each chassis rail that would normally hold the recovery eyes.

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

I should probably start a new thread about the winch install, but hey-ho. Here's some pics of today's progress :)

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

There's not much of that free steel left :) ;)

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

Nice work! :thumbup:
Cheers Ben :icon-biggrin:

Not much today, but cut a bit more off the thing and drilled a few big holes in it. Its prety much done now apart from a couple of tabs that need welding on and a lick of paint :icon-smile:

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

Started to sort out some of the 'lectrics today also :icon-smile:

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

I also popped a bit of that trim edging along an exposed edge of the chassis to offer just a little bit more protection to the cable should it get bunched and jammed.

IMG_1738.jpg

That is some great work you have done. How do you plan on getting to the free spool lever or has that already been sorted?

I really do envy you guys that have the space and ability to join metal and make nice things. Its far nicer than just going out and having to buy what you want because you dont have the time or ability to make it. Top job.

Out of interest what welder are you using?

That is some great work you have done
Thank you :icon-biggrin:

How do you plan on getting to the free spool lever or has that already been sorted?
It is very easy to operate it through the upper right hand slot in whats left of the bumper, you can just see it in this photo :icon-smile:

View attachment 76155

I really do envy you guys that have the space and ability to join metal and make nice things
So do I :icon-mrgreen: Most of what I've done here has been done in the garden while setting light to the grass or outside my m8's workshop, affording at the most a couple of hours at a time and today far less than that!! I'd take more time to do stuff in lieu of a workshop at the mo though :icon-smile:

Out of interest what welder are you using?
I have no idea as I'm not using it. It's my m8 that's doing the welding for me :oops: He's got a couple of huge three phase welders and that portable one in the photo that I used for tacking up, before passing it over to him for welding up. He always says why don't you do this yourself, but I figure with so little time for me to get things done, why not let him do it for me in a quarter the time to a much higher standard while I get on with something else. I've done all the thinking. planing, measuring, cutting and preping etc just no welding :icon-biggrin:

I forgot to mention that the winch tray weighs in at just 15Kg :icon-smile: I'm very pleased with this although it would have been better if it had come in at 13Kg as the bare winch weighs in at 27Kg so it would have been nice round numbers in total 40Kg. As it is it's not so bad Bare winch 27Kg, winch tray 15Kg, additional bolts and upper winch hook hanger 500grams, synthetic rope - hook - hawes 2.2Kg with just the cabling, contactor and remotes still to weigh. I reckon the total weight of the winch install will be around 50Kg, but then there's the weight of all of the bits of bumper and chassis ends I've removed to deduct plus I'm not finished hole drilling yet :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

I think the additional weight will come in around 40/45Kg :icon-biggrin:

Today saw the final fitting of the winch tray, the addition of some tabs along the rear edge to pick up some existing holes in the cross member and a jolly good clean up ready for the Galvanisers :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1749_zpsb83fbfa7.jpg

IMG_1750_zps5d394704.jpg

IMG_1751_zps813bd552.jpg

IMG_1752_zps3e46ac53.jpg

Back