Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

10,000km road trip planning. Any thoughts?

Dieseldragon

I'm getting married at the end of July, for the honeymoon, we are planning on driving from Málaga to Athens, which via France and Italy then following coast roads from Croatia down is about 9000km return, plus incidental driving to see sights.

The car is in good condition throughout. 135000km. Timing belt has been done. I'm going to change the battery as it's 3-4 years old and will check hoses and aux belts over. Will give it an oil change, filters etc... I carry a reasonable toolkit and have a solar panel to top battery up.

Is there anything specific I should check, that gets overlooked? It's going to be longest trip I've done. We've got European breakdown cover, but some places like Albania and Bosnia are a bit of an unknown.

Congrats DD she must be a good girl if shes happy to spend her honeymoon touring in a cruiser :thumbup:

As far as truck preparation goes there's not much the 90 series needs , grease the UJ's and props is about all i can think of apart from the obvious things like making sure all your fluids are topped up and your wheel nuts are tight .

I did 5000 miles in a fortnight without problems but got a few leaking seals after arriving home , perhaps because the truck was parked up for 6 or 7 weeks , and i do wonder if some additives in different oils with a view to conditioning seals before i set off might have prevented this .

If you have doubts about fuel quality anywhere along your trip a disposable inline filter just before the pump might be an idea so if she starts playing up you can change that and the proper fuel filter and be on your way without worrying about what got into the pump .

10,000 miles a year is average mileage so normal maintenance should be all you need .

Back