Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Front Wheel Bearing

warrenpfo

Right I plan this weekend to take a look at my drivers side front wheel bearing that has play and assume I might just be able to tighten it up to take up the play.

I have the 54mm socket and if need be Toyo have the parts in stock if I find I have to replace it.

I have done a lot of reading around and the procedure seems to be removing all the bits inspecting them all and then re packing the bearings and re assembling it all.

Where the confusion comes in is that it seems one has to tighten the first nut to a higher spec yet to be found to "seat" the bearings then undo and redo to specific torque yet again to be established. After which the outer nut needs to be dome up ensuring the inner one does not rotate to a specific torque that hen gives you the desired break away setting on the fish scale.

Where the confusion comes in is that the workshop manual torque figures seem to be too low according to people so I can go off there and there seems to be more than one number for new bearings and another for already used bearings that just need repacking.

Torque setting to seat the bearings?
Torque setting for first/inner nut?
Torque setting for last/outer nut?

Should the above settings be with dry nuts and washers/claws?

After trying to follow the procedure in the FSM a few times, I have finally understood the point of doing it that way :clap:

Procedure:
(after assembling the bearings and the hub, with a new inner seal of course)
1 tighten the first (inner) nut hard, in order to seat the bearings
2 turn the hub by hand a few rounds to further the seating process
3 retighten the inner nut to the same high torq' again
4 loosen the nut until hand-loose, but DO NOT turn the hub
5 making sure the hub doesn't come out of it's seated position, tighten the inner nut to the low torque setting
6 add the washer and the outer nut, and tighten the outer nut hard
-

If the logic in the 6 points above is clear, you'll need the torque settings:
1 tighten the first (inner) nut to 59 Nm, in order to seat the bearings
2 turn the hub by hand a few rounds to further the seating process
3 retighten the inner nut to the same high torq', 59 Nm
4 loosen the nut until hand-loose, but DO NOT turn the hub
5 making sure the hub doesn't come out of it's seated position, tighten the inner nut to ~ 5 Nm
6 check that the hub rotates freely without any play
7 check the preload at a wheel bolt, at a straight angle, to be ~ 5 Kg (50 N)
8 add lock washer and lock nut, torque to 64 Nm
9 recheck the preload

My understanding is that most experienced people tighten the first nut, and check the preload, by hand; without the use of a low-torque wrench.

Many thanks this is just what I was looking for. We should have this as a "sticky" for others to follow as there are so many differing numbers out there that it gets very confusing.

Any suggestions as to grease?

warrenpfo said:
We should have this as a "sticky" for others to follow as there are so many differing numbers out there that it gets very confusing.

I've put it into the 100 series FAQ sticky: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42 :thumbup:

Back