Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series roof bar mounting handles

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys,

I have a set of roof bars, the official toyota ones for a 100. They go onto trucks with no side gutters by mounting into the roof itself hanging off the handles/bars supposedly already in place.

My 105 has the mount points, the bolts, but no handle across them! Any ideas on where I might get a set ?

Attached here is a picture of the bar mounting manual. You can see the handles in the bottom left corner.

20160514_091739.jpg

Not looked myself but would Thule not do something nice that would fit well? They do nice aerodynamic bars too. Bit pricey but I would imagine the genuine Toy ones would be too.

Not looked myself but would Thule not do something nice that would fit well? They do nice aerodynamic bars too. Bit pricey but I would imagine the genuine Toy ones would be too.

These roof bars were already in the back of the truck, nice and fresh new ones. The PO had bought them but never got around to fitting them up.

Having said that, the thule ones need that little bar across the mouting bolts as well. So either way i'd still need those.

Regards

These roof bars were already in the back of the truck, nice and fresh new ones. The PO had bought them but never got around to fitting them up.

Having said that, the thule ones need that little bar across the mouting bolts as well. So either way i'd still need those.

Regards

Ahh, my mistake. I didn't read properly. It's the bits that bolt down that you want. I would have thought Amayama would be a good place to look as I expect they would need to be OEM. Though equally, if the 100 series has them mounted from factory, maybe a 100 series at a breakers might have them. It could be worth a try perhaps?

The standard roof rails use the same fittings so a call to a breaker of 100's will provide them very cheaply, I bet they have never been asked for them before.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depending how much they are to buy new or second hand. May be easier to just fab some.

I've never seen any 100 with those little "handlebar" fittings. All 100s came either with rails or nothing, afaik. Suppose there must be some model in some market that was equipped like this.
Looks like a good thing tho'. Better with a clean roof line when you dont have the bars fitted. Could be fabricated, but it's a bit of a job to make the "moulds" to press the sheet metal into.

I've never seen any 100 with those little "handlebar" fittings. All 100s came either with rails or nothing, afaik. Suppose there must be some model in some market that was equipped like this.
Looks like a good thing tho'. Better with a clean roof line when you dont have the bars fitted. Could be fabricated, but it's a bit of a job to make the "moulds" to press the sheet metal into.

The diagram in the install booklet also seems to indicate some sort of a small cover on top of the mount bolts. However the 105 only had a single strip of moulding all the way from the front to back. I know the mount points exist though.

Is this usual?
Regards

What I've seen is that the 100s without rails have a long flat plastic strip in the groove, but that the threaded bolt holes are there on all cruisers.
Iirc, the bolt holes for the middle one are different from the front and rear, something like only 1 threaded hole and 1 for a pin/dowel.
Someone who bought a 2nd hand set of rails, tried to make do by cutting the long strip, but were not happy with the result.
I have not quite understood how it works re sealing and where any water goes or drains. That plastic strip doesn't look water tight, but I've never had any leaks.​

What I've seen is that the 100s without rails have a long flat plastic strip in the groove, but that the threaded bolt holes are there on all cruisers.
Iirc, the bolt holes for the middle one are different from the front and rear, something like only 1 threaded hole and 1 for a pin/dowel.
Someone who bought a 2nd hand set of rails, tried to make do by cutting the long strip, but were not happy with the result.
I have not quite understood how it works re sealing and where any water goes or drains. That plastic strip doesn't look water tight, but I've never had any leaks.​

That plastic strip has now been removed on mine as well, given dust underneath I am sure its not water proof.

I think toyota 63185-60030 is the sort of thing needed to get these bars up. Investigation ongoing.

Thanks

My 100 is one without roof rails ( OZ import) but it has short strips in the roof which when removed reveal the mounting points for the standard lateral roof rails or the bars which go across. They reveal a bridging piece between two bolts which both sets of bars hook into. I cant send a photo as its in the depths of the storage unit.

To make some up they could easily be milked from steel and plated. Would probably work out at £10 -£15 each though (depending on how many made) which may be prohibitive. Depends on cost from Mr T or Ama.

Any chance of a pic of whats under the strip KB?
Hi Andy,

Attached a pic here. There are 2 bolts in the front, 3 in the middle ( but equidistant, so i guess you are only meant to use 2 ) and then 2 at the back. The pic isnt very clear but you should be able to see bolts and plastic strip mounts.

Will try and get a better picture later today.

I might have a local solution to this, need to go see someone about a spare rails set.

20160516_081542.jpg 20160516_081522.jpg

My 100 is one without roof rails ( OZ import) but it has short strips in the roof which when removed reveal the mounting points for the standard lateral roof rails or the bars which go across. They reveal a bridging piece between two bolts which both sets of bars hook into. I cant send a photo as its in the depths of the storage unit.

That bridge piece is exactly the bit I am looking for! If you could send me a pic would be great. Just explaining what I nwed to people is otherwise a problem.

Thanks.

Back