Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series tilt and telescope steering column motors.

Briane

Country Flag
uk
Just got the local Toyoto dealer to replace both of these motors. I also asked them to disable the auto function which happens when inserting or removing the ignition key.

When I collected the car, the new motors worked fine but they said the car (06/2001 1HD-FTE) was too old for their modern Techstream to interface with, so I am stuck with the original auto function, which means the new motors will fail in the same way as the old ones. Can anyone please advise me on where in the program the settings to disable the auto function can be found. With that information, I may be able to get an auto electronics guy to do the job but it would make the job quicker and less expensive if I could tell them where in the program to look. Thanks.

Well if they're new, they should last a pretty long time, shouldn't they? They've done 20 years before needing replacing.

I think the dealer is telling lies. Where about in the country are you? Maybe you're near another member with Techstream, or a garage forum members would recommend taking it to, if you don't want to buy an interface and install Techstream yourself. The menu options for a non Techstream interface will probably be different, but in Techstream there's a 'Customize Setting' option, then 'Tilt and Telescope' then 'Autoaway/Return function and you select on or off.

Hello Jon, thank you for your very helpful step- by- step reply. I think you may be right about the dealer. They gave me the impression of being disinterested in doing anything beyond the minimum and when I asked for a wiring diagram they said it would not help since everything is in Japanese, something that I know is not true. I am in Totnes and I spoke with an auto diagnostics guy in Torquay who said he would need to know the exact module addresses before he could do anything and I think your answer ticks that box. However, if there are any Techstream members in this neck of the woods who could help with this then please get in touch since I would prefer to pay a club member to help them get a return on their Techstream investment.

Back