Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series upgrade question (should i do it or not)

Ramdaddy

Country Flag
united_states
Hey guys so I was recently handed down my fathers 2002 100 series with a 4.7l v8 and my question is whether or not I should spend my time and money on it by buying parts and upgrading it to a more off road capable vehicle. It has a little over 220,00 miles and is in pretty good condition. its never been in an accident or had any major problems and I love driving it but I don't want to waste my money on it if its near the end of its life span. Thanks in advance guys!

It depends on what you consider as "more off road capable"? A 100 series with IFS (Independent front suspension) will never be as capable in the really rough stuff as the solid front axle.
As a current standard trim 100VX 4.7 owner I can say that for cruising long distances it is so much more comfortable and responsive to drive than my old "off road modified" 80 series, but that was capable of taking on pretty much anything.
If the vehicle has been serviced regularly then the mileage shouldn't worry you to much. I presume it has the AHC (automatic height control) suspension? Most folks that want to toughen the vehicle up replace that as a starter, at the same time you can add some lift and go for bigger tyres (33 or 35 inch).
A rear diff lock, if not fitted as standard, also adds benefits off road. The rest is really body protection, rock sliders, replacement front and rear bumpers etc.
Personally I would rather get the 105 or 80 series for serious off roading.

Just check for rust. Everything else can be fixed. (Well, rust can be fixed as well, but it's a lot more work to start changing body and frame)

Thanks for the Reply guys, basically what I mean by upgrading it to a more "off road capable" vehicle is by adding a Cold air intake, new exhaust system, Headers, Snorkel, all terrain tires, a lift kit, maybe a new suspension kit and a Turbo or Supercharger depending on how much it'll run me.

.... and a Turbo or Supercharger depending on how much it'll run me.
I would overhaul the engine before trying to crank more power out. 220 k miles of wear will show itself faster if you give it more work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Definitely check to see when dad replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc... pretty much all the stuff up front, if you log into Toyota owners.com and try to schedule a timing belt service it will give you a list of things to replace while there in there doing the work so I'd check on those first. Then replace the T heater pieces. There known to disintegrate over time and its not an expensive upgrade.

Back