Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 Series front end Knock.

Tony1213

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone, I have a solid front axle 105 petrol. It has about 350Kms on it. There is a front end knock, I can feel it through the steering, hear it, especially when going over bumps. Does not affect steering and it is not the usual suspects. I have had this checked by a mechanic here in Brisbane, after about $300, I got a long list of replacement items, more than the car is worth but no real idea what is causing the issue. The list includes diff replacements and drive shafts....etc etc. Any thoughts or previous experience on this would be appreciated. Cheers.

Best thing would be to check it your self if you can... Jack the truck up on the Chassis so the front end is hanging loose (wheels off the Ground) and get under there with a hefty Bar and start checking every thing for play.. Top and Bottom of Shocks /springs, Anything that is connected to the front axle with Nuts and Bolts and Bushes, and hope its an external problem....There are loads of threads on the forum regards banging/Knocking front ends..... Next step would be start on an Internal inspection.... Dont know what else to say.... Or you could believe your Garage and start replacing stuff... Tricky one, Good luck

A bit more involved, but if you have something like a GoPro it's worth mounting it under there directed at the big lumpy bits and do for a drive. These things are pretty heavy duty and sometimes trying to get a knock to happen with a bar etc can be quite hard. If you can't find what it is through Higgy's method, then it's worth a go. With a bar you tend to only move one bit at once. When driving it's ALL shaking about. Could be a steering arm hitting the top of one of the control arms for example.

Ive had a number of different vehicles with knocks and in every instance it has been the shocky rubbers. They even look okay on inspection but cause a knock when put under pressure when driving.

Could be worth posting the list the garage gave you and the experienced guys here could point you in a direction to follow or specific methods to check

Thanks everyone, I will try all methods before bothering anyone further. Appreciate it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back