Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12 volt starting conversion on a 1997 24 valve manual 80 series LandCruiser

Yes it's fine to use the DS battery.
Just be aware the 12v starters draw more current that the 24v starters, the 24v starter draws about 165 amps and the 12v about 210.
So make sure your cabling is up for the job.

As per Paul, you need to factor in the voltage drop over that distance, with direct current you should be looking at a maximum drop of 4%, of course lower is better.

Regards

Dave

I finally just got around to doing this - had my 12 volt starter sat on the shelf for nearly two years! Nothing to add to the instructions, they are spot on. It took me a morning to do it and that was being slow - also includes 40 minutes trying to get that arse of a top nut back in place that holds the starter. Works perfectly, though the new starter defintely sounds quiet different.

Well done Lorin.

The way I did mine, the PS batter does nothing apart from spin the starter.

A couple of weeks ago I forgot and left the ARB compressor powered up for over a week. When I came to the car the DS battery was totally flat. This meant the starter wouldn’t engage, fuel pump cut off wouldn’t even cut in, the whole cars electrics were dead etc....

It gave me chance to test out the fly lead I had made ready for such an occurance..... connected up + to + and she fired up first touch of the key.

The old 24v starting system meant if you lost one battery you were fubbared.

The way I did mine, the PS batter does nothing apart from spin the starter.

This is exactly how I’ve done mine. I was going to install a switch to enable me to select which battery I start from or connect them in parallel for a jump but as I carry jump leads I figured I’d keep it simple and just use them if needed.

This is exactly how I’ve done mine. I was going to install a switch to enable me to select which battery I start from or connect them in parallel for a jump but as I carry jump leads I figured I’d keep it simple and just use them if needed.

How are the batteries connected when running Lorin? Ignition or alternator voltage sensitive relay? I only asked as you mentioned jump leads to start in the event of a flat battery.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use a good quality VSR to trigger a larger relay. I used to have them connected via a National Luna split charger until it failed twice and went in the bin. I thought about having something to do a self jump start but then decided it was something that would be so rare and more complexity than I wanted so I too carry a pair of jump leads

How are the batteries connected when running Lorin? Ignition or alternator voltage sensitive relay? I only asked as you mentioned jump leads to start in the event of a flat battery.

Regards

Dave

At the minute they’re simply connected in parallel as I haven’t fitted the DC DC charger yet. Once that’s fitted they’ll only be connected through the charger. In order to use jump leads if required I plan to fit a cut-off switch on the charger feed. That way the charger is isolated when jumping.

I did not know you were using a DC - D.C. charger Lorin, are you mixing cranking and leisure batteries hence the D.C. - D.C fitment?

Regards

Dave

I have a VSR to connect the two batteries, this obviously prevents the main cranking battery being discharged by any of the cars electrics when parked up.

Excuse my ignorance here, what is a DC DC charger?

I fitted the IIRC 7622 VSR, it is a marine version so reliability should not be an issue, been there about 6 years now?

D.C. D.C. chargers still use the alternator but can boost or reduce charge rates to a second battery independent of charge rate to the starter battery.

I think they are a good idea when used with a starter/leisure battery combo, but not with starter/starter batteries, or marine dual purpose types that I use.

Regards

Dave

My original set up had a wet battery in the PS and an AGM in the DS. Using the VSR and alternator, the AGM battery really started to suffer from undercharging at the typical 13.8v input. I could have perhaps fitted an DC2DC charger to compensate but the simplest fix was to just put a standard wet battery in there to replace the Optima. That sorted it and a good charge via a CTEK refreshed the Optima which is now in the trailer doing its thing.

Last edited:
Mixed technology batteries never work well in parallel, much in the same way two same tech batteries but of different ages don't work too good either.

Regards

Dave

I did not know you were using a DC - D.C. charger Lorin, are you mixing cranking and leisure batteries hence the D.C. - D.C fitment?

Regards

Dave

The decision to fit the intervolt DC DC charger was based primarily on its superior charging characteristics and it also being able to accept solar thereby killing two birds with one solution. I'll probably just use the existing standard battery for leisure until it needs upgrading. As far as I can tell there's no great advantage that justifies the increased price of AGM over standard lead acid. I do however intend to modify the battery box to get something bigger in there - ideally I'd like 150-200 amp hours capacity.

Don't confuse AGM with leisure Lorin, you can have lead acid leisure as well as AGM.

A leisure battery can be pulled way below the maximum 80% used as a gauge for a typical starter battery. Hence your D.C. - D.C. chargers suitability, so you can have a leisure battery for lighting and other camp duties, and be able to run it down quite low without causing permanent damage.

Using a starter battery regardless of lead acid or AGM or even gel for leisure use, will seriously shorten its life.

Regards

Dave

Using a starter battery regardless of lead acid or AGM or even gel for leisure use, will seriously shorten its life.

Regards

Dave

I fear that's what I've just done to my new (4 months old) 12v battery in the dirt bike after discovering yesterday that I'd left the poxy heated grips turned on after last use 3 weeks ago:angry-screaming:. 3.4 volts coming from the thing. An overnight charge from a recovery charger and its back up to full voltage and spins the engine like it was new but, going on past experience, I can't see it lasting the 7 years of the original. B*****d.

You never know TP, being fairly new you may get away with it?

I have never been overly keen on riding motorbikes, I get the engineering and speed (my father was a motorbike fanatic), but that's about it however, I always thought you 'biker' guys and girls were real toughies, riding in the rain and freezing cold, bugs in your teeth and so on, and now I find the handlebars are heated, seems I was wrong! :think: :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Mine has a heated seat too and heated gloves. Yes in bad weather it's miserable but when the sun's out it's glorious.

You never know TP, being fairly new you may get away with it?

I have never been overly keen on riding motorbikes, I get the engineering and speed (my father was a motorbike fanatic), but that's about it however, I always thought you 'biker' guys and girls were real toughies, riding in the rain and freezing cold, bugs in your teeth and so on, and now I find the handlebars are heated, seems I was wrong! :think: :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

No problem with the bugs in the teeth, extra protein and all that but when your digits are frozen and you can’t feel the levers, that’s NOT fun!

Mine has a heated seat too and heated gloves. Yes in bad weather it's miserable but when the sun's out it's glorious.

No problem with the bugs in the teeth, extra protein and all that but when your digits are frozen and you can’t feel the levers, that’s NOT fun!

So good too hear you guys looking out for the warmer weather............at least 6 days of sun headed your way this year......don't blink now will you. :lol:

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back