Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 horn replacement

Maybe youve got a bad earth - try earthing it to the battery directly. Astra is a 12v car i assume so unless theres massive voltage drop on the LC horn circuit (which i doubt) the different voltage thing doesnt make sense to me....

Not again !! lol

I had a quick Gargle, and although year and model Astra unknown, 15 amp seems general

Last edited:
Maybe youve got a bad earth - try earthing it to the battery directly. Astra is a 12v car i assume so unless theres massive voltage drop on the LC horn circuit (which i doubt) the different voltage thing doesnt make sense to me....
Put the astra horn directly on to the battery and works perfectly and has the high pitch I wanted.

Hello guys
Had a chance to have a go at getting the new horn to work via a 40amp relay.
I have the positive and negative connections plus another two connections going to the positive and negative on the horn plus a positive running from the horn to the oem wire loom and nothing no power.
Plan B
Bolted the astra horn to the body were the oem horn sits for extra earth .
No power even tho was connected to a relay and direct feed to the battery.
The astra horn has a positive and negative and so I tried to connect the + directly to the battery and jump on to the + on the relay and the - onto the relay and still no horn .
Just to check no fuses had blown I reconnected my oem horn and works perfect.
By this stage I had run out of ideas apart from going directly to the horn fuse and back to the relay I gave up.
Puzzled.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Tony any chance of a diagram showing what you've connected and where the relay is sitting? Its all a bit hard to follow as text!

The + and - as shown and put the spare prongs onto the + and - on the horn then run a connection from the + on the horn to oem harness.
I also switched the connections on the relay either way round to see if I could get power.
The only differencei did was i put my +from the horn to the double wire side on the oem harness.
I mention this because I followed instructions from a clip I found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_202222_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_202222_Chrome.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20231022_193252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022_193252_Chrome.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Years ago, I changed the horns on my 78 as they were feeble. I had a high and low tone from a Fiesta, and although both horns worked off the battery, could never get them to work wired to the 78.
Like you Tony, I tried all sorts of combinations.My thoughts were at the time, the negative wiring on Toyota's ( dont know what the Fiesta's were), or they needed a relay, I gave up and left originals. Let's see where this goes.
Well traction man just like you I have tried every combination to get the astra horn to work with no results.
The horn works perfectly directly from the battery.
I have connected to a relay and via the battery via the oem loom and no power.
I have even run via the relay and directly to the horn fuse and again no power.
So like you I have give up as no idea how to connect and get power.

Hi Tony, looking at your pic and description of what you have tried, something is nagging at me, but I can't put my finger on it - mulling it over.
It is puzzling with the set up, as I found some years ago, and I gave up before you.
Hopefully, Karl will be on to clarify with his electrickery hat on.

Hi Tony, is it wired like this, or some other way?

Attachments

• 20231030_215258.jpg
    20231030_215258.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 18
Looking at your drawing Karl I never tried that way but has that method worked for anyone else or am the guinea pig.

Well i dont know how else you'd do it that would make sense!

If you get 5 mins draw out the way you tried and post that lets have a look

Just followed your diagram Karl and bingo it worked.
Not sure how I wired it up the first time and second time but your diagram worked.
Big thank you Karl as saved me a headache.

Years ago, I changed the horns on my 78 as they were feeble. I had a high and low tone from a Fiesta, and although both horns worked off the battery, could never get them to work wired to the 78.
Like you Tony, I tried all sorts of combinations.My thoughts were at the time, the negative wiring on Toyota's ( dont know what the Fiesta's were), or they needed a relay, I gave up and left originals. Let's see where this goes.
I followed Karl's diagram on page 2 and the astra horn works perfectly from the oem horn harness.
The 2 plugs on the oem horn I connected the wire on the plug with the 2 wires so looking at your oem plug it's the one nearest the passenger headlight.
That was my first try so may work of any of them.
Good luck.

Back