Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1967 fj45

Hi Simon,
Good to see the progress on the truck and I'm afraid I'm going to sound like a bit of an old woman now but it sounds like you are going to do all that work and, in my opinion, spoil it with spring over axle.
You will still have to modify the steering drop etc so why don't you go the proper lift way?
So why am I saying this? IMO it's not good engineering (although I'm sure there are those on here who would disagree) and with a V8 the handling will not be too good. The USA and Canada is full of lifted pick up trucks with 'modification' and without fail they all handle poorly and wobble all over the place.
A 40 series (whatever number) requires good suspension mods but with a more powerful engine it becomes imperative. It has taken me years to sort the handling on mine and now I can, at last, use the power and stay in the same lane. And a V8 has a lot more power than a 2H!
From the photos you are obviously serious about doing right, please don't spoil it with 'spring over axle'.

You have mentioned that you are doing a Lotus.... well search out some of the tales about the original AC Cobras... with them you pulled out to overtake and then acclerated. If you didn't, the field besides the opposite lane was the destination, and they had supposedly good suspension (just a weak chassis).

Hope you don't mind my voicing my opinion.

Regards,

Hi Rodger,

Thanks for your comments, always welcome.

What's "the proper lift way" in your estimation? Springs or shackles or both? I don't have an issue with spring over (my 2010 nissan navara is spring over on the rear as are many vehicles). Personally I don't like the look of heavily bowed springs hanging down ie 4-5 inch lift springs or very long shackles. Either way I'll be recovering castor angle which is the cause of most handling issues on poorly executed SOAs.

Chassis development engineer is my day job so I won't run anything unacceptable.

Hi Simon,

Like I said it is just my personal opinion...
Perhaps I've seen too many poorly engineered s-over-a yank pick ups...

The lift on my 40 is by lowering the front hanger - properly welded spring hanger mount but it does have slightly longer shackles but the springs retain their natural shape. The front suspension on it is coils sprung.

Obviously, by your profession, your knowledge and experience far exceeds my observations.

Regards,

Update: Engine and transmission mounts are welded to frame. Spring relocated under the axle with spring perches tacked on for now. Not fixing them until ride height confirmed and I know what angle the pinions need to be set to.

Very much work in progress, yes I know the ride height looks ridiculous! It's currently sitting on worn out 33" tyres (measure at 31" diameter) and has no weight in it. I plan to stick on some 35's and add motor / ballast to see where the ride height ends up.

If I went all the way to 37's the clearance would be perfect, as it is I always think SOA on 35's can be a little high. To this end the new spring perches were installed as low as possible.

45 lifted.JPG

Hi there

if you need any parts give me a shout I have lots of vehicles I am breaking, and also complete vehicles ready to go, can do you complete axel for £350 with springs if that helps

giles

Hi Simon that 45 is look good love the. Look of it thanks for the pics tonytoyota :thumbup::icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back