Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1986 HJ60 - seeking advice on purchase

RJP

Country Flag
united_states
I am new to the Land Cruiser world...owner of old Jeeps, Muscle cars, and motorcycles. But I have forever yearned for either a Land Cruiser 60 or Defender 110. I am now in the position to purchase a 1986 HJ60. I took a look at her today. She has a few spots on the roof where rust was repaired and a pin hole on the rear window that still needs to be fixed. I checked underneath, fender wells, fender lips, bottom of doors and found nothing. The diesel runs with only a quick puff of black smoke on start up (nothing when revved). The current owner has replaced the head, rocket arm assembly, radiator, and clutch slave. He also redid the glow plug system with German 24V plugs and had the injectors cleaned and tested. For its age, it is in good shape. She needs a paint job as the last one was done poorly. The interior is not great, but not horrible either. It does NOT have Air Conditioning. It does have power brakes, steering, and clutch. But the windows and doors are manual. It has 490,000KM (around 280,000 miles). He is asking around $9000. So...my question is this a fair price and what nightmares should I expect:) Many thanks in advance, I truly appreciate your thoughts.

Rob

I am new to the Land Cruiser world...owner of old Jeeps, Muscle cars, and motorcycles. But I have forever yearned for either a Land Cruiser 60 or Defender 110. I am now in the position to purchase a 1986 HJ60. I took a look at her today. She has a few spots on the roof where rust was repaired and a pin hole on the rear window that still needs to be fixed. I checked underneath, fender wells, fender lips, bottom of doors and found nothing. The diesel runs with only a quick puff of black smoke on start up (nothing when revved). The current owner has replaced the head, rocket arm assembly, radiator, and clutch slave. He also redid the glow plug system with German 24V plugs and had the injectors cleaned and tested. For its age, it is in good shape. She needs a paint job as the last one was done poorly. The interior is not great, but not horrible either. It does NOT have Air Conditioning. It does have power brakes, steering, and clutch. But the windows and doors are manual. It has 490,000KM (around 280,000 miles). He is asking around $9000. So...my question is this a fair price and what nightmares should I expect:) Many thanks in advance, I truly appreciate your thoughts.

Rob

Hi there, I suggest you give a more detailed description on the ride you want to purchase. You forgot to mention what type of engine and pictures would really help a lot as far as your seeking advice in purchase.

Welcome RJP, $9k is about £5.8K which is around the price some people are asking h ere. I'm assuming its a 2H 6 cyl diesel which are under stressed so can achieve very high mileages if maintained well.If its to be a keeper/ long term project and its virtually rust free then it doesn't sound too bad.

Thank you for your replies. I am in a holding pattern as I am off island at this point. I will take another look when I return and post more details. Thank you very much again!

00000_7qIEHTWEj1R_600x450.jpg00x0x_9y5Bdb5OOwx_600x450.jpg01010_fAmUYEbVffL_600x450.jpg00E0E_56O5pJ1LBk0_600x450.jpg01414_eLQvvsZTeil_600x450.jpg00H0H_kjiPvbepKRR_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• 00s0s_5jSIRmJvVcO_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_5jSIRmJvVcO_600x450.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 161
Just back from a series of TDYs (I am in the military). Attached are photos. I am still on the fence, so thank you very much for all your help!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ho good looking cruiser go for it good look with it from Tony.

As far as i know only rust kills these and the fact it has been repainted would have me wrap a magnet in cloth and run it around the bodywork to see how much filler the paint hides . Looks in great condition though not many around that clean .

Last edited:
Thats a very fine looking hj60 there.. If the bodywork is good. Then thats a blessing and I wouldn't hesitate too long as another person would come along and snap it up!

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Back