Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1986 Landcruiser carburetor issues - help appreciated!

NCcruiser

Country Flag
united_states
Hello all,
I'm new here, have had my FJ60 for ~ 1 year now and loving it. Hoping to get your help with an issue I'm having. Last weekend while idling at a stop light it died on me, afer a few persistent attempts to fire it back up it started and I was able to get it home, but can smell gas (more than usual) and again it was attemting to die unless gas was applied.
Took it to a local mechanic I've used on my other cars, his opinion is that my carburetor is the problem (it floods) and needs to be replaced. He is quoting $694 for a Toyota carburetor and another $400 for labor, which seems extremely steep.

Any suggetsion would be appreciated. Should I opt out for rebuild instead, seek cheaper options? Thanks so much for your help.

I had a FJ40 years ago, when it didn't run well I bought a service Kit for the carb, stripped it and had it ultrasonically cleaned and reassembled it with bits from the service kit and it ran great after that. Incidentally you can fit the fuel injection system of a 6cyl Chevy engine of the same capacity with very little effort.
It sounds like its flooding, a new float valve properly adjusted should cure the problem.

Andy

Back