Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1992 LJ70 stalls when hot

Saffe

Country Flag
belgium
'morning folks

I have a problem with my 1988 land cruiser which I can't seem to solve... It starts like it's new, idles perfectly, drives fine but when I let the engine work hard like offroad or a lot of turns it stalls. No power above 1500-2000 rpm at the beginning, if I continue the engine sputters at idle and eventually stops. When cooling down for a minute or 10 it starts again without problems and runs fine for a few minutes. Then the symptoms start again... :icon-neutral:
Maybe good to know:
- Engine doesn't burn oil, no smoke or what so ever
- New turbo but problem occured already before changing it
- Diesel 2LT engine (2.4L TD)

someone an idea?

EDIT: does the LJ70 has an EGR valve and if so, maybe remove it?

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe blown head gasket or cracked head!

When the engine is cold the crack is closed, engine gets warm, crack opens up and engine doesn't run properly. :think:

Sorry not sure if they have an EGR or not.

Remove the Radiator cap whilst its cold and start it up and let it warm up and see if you are getting any bubbles coming through when it warms up and starts to run rough.:think: What is the colour of the engine coolant is there any black sooty looking stains in the coolant or does it look oily or contaminated?:think:What is the colour of the engine oil not contaminated or Milky?

Couple of other things to maybe look at. May be worth checking the air filter is clean so that you are getting plenty of air in with the fuel. Also check that the air intake hoses are not collapsing when they get hot. If they are old they may collapse when old and softened with heat and then starve the engine of air.:think:

Hi all and thanks for the replies!
I ordered a new fuel filter, because I saw this information on a site:

White smoke means that the diesel fuel is not burning correctly due to a lack of heat in the combustion chamber. This unburnt diesel contains minor toxins that may sting your eyes.
This problem may be caused by:
• A clogged fuel filter
• Incorrect injector pump timing
• Worn engine (low compression)
• Water or petrol contamination of the diesel fuel.

I do have a strong unburned diesel smell (even in the cabine) and when he sputters and I "put the pedal to the metal" I see white/grey smoke coming out.
There is a small leak of water coolant at the water pump that's all, I'll check the coolant liquid for traces of oil. No contamination of oil with water in the engine (in Belgium we say mayonaised oil :) )
First I thought about a broken or bad functioning injector but why would it only run bad when it warms up you know.

Except for the manual choke (to change the position of the pedal) is there another (automatic) one?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another thing: If I check the fuel lines, fuel pump and filter, do I need to remove the air from the system (de-aerate) afterwards and if so, how?

Thanks for the link, I didn't knew it was that easy :D
So I checked and replaced the fuel filter (a lot of water and algae) and the problem was solved...until yesterday.

Thanks for the link, I didn't knew it was that easy :D
So I checked and replaced the fuel filter (a lot of water and algae) and the problem was solved...until yesterday.

I would suggest replace the fuel filter again and check your fuel tank for algae and either treat it with fuel treatment for Algae or remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Sounds like you have got fuel contaminated with algae in your tank.:doh::doh:

I think so too, the jeep stood outside for 3 years with the same fuel so... This weekend I will inspect the fuel tank.
Thanks

Back