Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1995 Toyota Land Cruiser - Exhaust Smell in cabin

Bob Mane

Country Flag
united_states
A couple things goin on here

1. Exhaust Smell in cabin
2. worse when heater or a/c is on
3. I can not figure how to completely shut down heat/ac/vent 100%. when fan is in off position can still feel small amount of heat coming in. in other cars i have you can shut off 100%. it seems the only option is fan on or off but no on off of full system.

Would guess the foam based seal on the vent has deteriorated letting air get passed.
Smell could be due to exhaust manifold leaking or exhaust pipe joint leaking up front in engine bay. Have a root around and see if anything looks suspect bob. Hopefully something simple.

On my 80, the “on/off” for heat is a water valve mounted on the circa 3/4” heater hoses roughly in the centre of the bulkhead, in the engine bay.

I don’t have the fancy push-button clima control, so yours may be different Bob.

My “off” position on the slider has shifted over the years, but I’m still able to shut it off. The shift in mine is due to the clip holding the outer casing of the cable at the valve having gone a bit ‘soft’ and it doesn’t grip the cable sheathing as well as it should.

It’s easy to get at to check, before you start dismantling the whole dash :? so worth a go I’d have thought.

I can have the fan on, or off, and the internal/external air flow in any position, but if you cant kill the heat, it must be a valve problem.

I think they can stick as well, so even if the lever on the valve goes full travel, it still may not be shutting off the flow.

As said, worth looking at it I think.

Press the internal/external air flow button to internal, and with the fan turned off you shouldn't get any air forced through by driving.

Even with button on internal put hand to vent and can feel heat. Not forced as with fan on but can feel heat coming in slightly

bob is your petrol? If so the smell will be the $100 bills burning as you drive slong. Solution is to buy a 12v diesrl and watch the mpg climb to 30

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
is the smrll in the back too? It could be coming in through the tsilgate. Your arms probably aren't long enough but if you can smell it in there as you drive along then it could be your tailgate seal. Id start by putting the sterring wheel back on the correct side and see if that helps?

Check the gaitor round the steering column where it goes through the bulkhead. On mine it is missing and you can see daylight from the footwell with the bonnet open. There is no engine smell though, so perhaps there is an exhaust or breather leak also.

Glem he's OK as he has an 8 ft nose to check rear. (only joking poster).

I would think you have an exhaust leak in the engine bay. You sure it's exhaust gas and not oil vapour coming out of the engine breather due to worn engine. Also check tailgate is shut properly and has good seals.

Haha yes this thing burns gas up like crazy that is for sure. Took it in today. Exhaust leaking at Y-Pipe, Converters and Muffler. Had to weld exhaust and now waiting for converter gasket.

Other issues found at shop were "Front pinion leaking" and "front engine on pan gasket leaking" not sure if I need to fix those right now.

funny the guy i bought it from said he just put in a "new used 180k engine" but I guess when he did he did not change the gaskets.

At least you found the source which is half the battle. Funny that a 180k engine would be considered high mileage here! Make sure you use orange gloop- it even has its own part number I believe.

At least you found the source which is half the battle. Funny that a 180k engine would be considered high mileage here! Make sure you use orange gloop- it even has its own part number I believe.
Would 'Orange Gloop' be a Loctite product such as their Flange Sealant, IR?

Remember If you don't have the proper tools don't use genuine parts

I have seen both climate and non climate with the water valve along the bulkhead. The cable that operates that valve is moved by an electric motor, the motor is only powered when the ignition is on.

Have someone move the slider from hot to cold and check the water flow stops, the cable over time stretches and may need adjustment.

And as mentioned earlier the gasket around the steering column rots so any engine smells will easily enter the cabin.

Regards

Dave

I had the same problem and I found two screws of the exhaust collector (hope it is the correct name) lightly loose!

Back