Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FT (24v Turbo 80) valve adjustment

Increase on MPG I wish. 10% of nothing is still nothing ha ha. We shall see on the run to Lincomb coming up soon. Only had a blast around the block so far.

The petrol ones are a doddle btw, take cam cover off, check clearances, if need adjustment just remove a shim measure it and fit a different size. Only cylinder 6 is more involved as need the cam out.

Should've used some paint to make mine more pretty while I was there :doh:

I take it the petrol engine uses shim-on-bucket type adjustment? Just like the early Kawasaki Z engines. A breeze to work on. When tuned for more revs they could spit shims out so I guess the move to under-bucket shims on later engines was inevitable as rev ceilings increased which made routine valve shimming a PITA!

No I meant if you could just stick a feeler in the roller and be done, it would take five mins to check the gaps. Just be a short cut. It says measure the gap first then adjust if necessary. Not a chance. Only way is to actually slacken and adjust - so I found.

So all back together, cleaned up and a bit of bling. Sounds really sweet but then it wasn't bad to begin with. I shall see how it drives tomorrow. I do think a special bridge holding tool might be something I'd make if I ever did this again.

View attachment 156319
You have a 24Volt starter as well then

No. It's 12v. Not sure what you mean.

I take it the petrol engine uses shim-on-bucket type adjustment? Just like the early Kawasaki Z engines. A breeze to work on. When tuned for more revs they could spit shims out so I guess the move to under-bucket shims on later engines was inevitable as rev ceilings increased which made routine valve shimming a PITA!

Yeah shim on top, very easy to do.

Used to have valve shims to adjust on BMW 6 cylinder M power engines but just hydraulic now.

Proper spannering adjusting valve clearances, good to hear it's made a difference too Chris.
Always makes it feel more worth the effort when improves things.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wee update on this. I ran down to Bad Kissingen this weekend, a total of around 1500 miles. Truck was quieter and smoother and in conjunction with the newly cleaned out Walbro filter bowl, I got a solid 20 mpg with one tank actually returning almost 23 mpg which is almost unbelievable give the fact that it's a humongous great big brick on wheels. It pulled like a train on the hills. Most of the time I just had Cruise set at about 65 and my arm out of the window. Which reminds me I must fix the air con again. This was the first run on the new front prop too which seemed fine. I'd like to drop the 100 series box in when I get chance, but even the old one performed pretty well.

Back