Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FTE EGR removal

warrenpfo

I have done my homework and it would seem that the EGR system on the 1HD-FTE works well when it is in tip top condition but if you want to remove it there is no harm done and you might see an increase in MPG if you lucky and in the long run it does help stop the build up of exhaust soot.

So with this in mind I plan to remove the system but have a few questions. Below are a few labelled pictures of all the parts in the EGR system.
8256006130_f2520790c3_z.jpg
I plan on removing the EGR valve and the air intake connector it bolts too and replacing it with part number 17861-17030 which is a 100 series air intake connector without the EGR valve in it.
Having removed the EGR valve I will trace back the hose to remove the Vacuum damper and E-VRV but am unsure what to do with the hose that leads down to the vacuum pump. I want to remove it but am unsure on how to block it off at the vacuum pump or if I need to. From having a look the vacuum pump operates other things as well like the high altitude boost compensator so I can’t remove the whole pump which would make things simple. What would you do or have you done??

On the European spec vehicles we have the added VSV for the air intake valve which is connected to the EGR system which I was going to remove, BUT am not sure what to do with the actuator its self. Do I remove it if so how do I leave the actuator open, close etc.???
8256019542_6c44375367_z.jpg

Back up to the EGR valve end, in removing it and replacing the intake connector I will also need blank off the EGR cooler which in the European spec is water cooled.
8254953997_eed1af83cb_z.jpg
For those interested CAT make a blanking plate for their 3500 series engines that fit perfect, the part numbers are 2p-2772 and4w-9890
8256077502_c5da48cf8b_z.jpg
8256077390_38ddf3d5cb_z.jpg
My question is what do I do with the water bypass hoses one and two?? I guess I just connect one to the other but was trying to find out where they go but they disappear behind the back of the engine and I can get my hand in to feel. Does anyone know??

Couldn't you just block the vacuum pipe that runs to the EGR actuator / valve to disable the EGR which is the most common way to disable it on 24 valve 80's?

I am sure that I can Jon but with so many bits of pipe and valves in the engine bay I was hoping to remove what is not needed to try and tidy things up.

Your option is the simple solution.

Your engine looks too clean to be real.
Btw, your brake fluid reservoir looks seriously overfilled.

Afaik, the egr causes problems only when the car is used for short trips where it doesn't get to work at full operating temperature.
I looked at those pipes when I hade the engine out, but I can't remember that now. I have this diagram, but it's from the earlier version w/o egr cooler.
Cooling circuit.jpg

Thanks, You right the brake fluid does look way too full. I will drain some tomorrow.

Thanks, You right the brake fluid does look way too full. I will drain some tomorrow.

Hi uHu

I use my 100 for short distances. What are the symptoms of egr valve playing up and how bad does it get? I assume you can rectify by cleaning?

Thanks
Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi uHu
What are the symptoms of egr valve trouble caused by short distances. Are they bad?
Thanks
Frank

Just bumping this old thread. Did you do the delete warenpfo? Which way did you do it and what are the results?

I'm interested in the method to block the vacuum pipe that runs to the EGR actuator / valve to disable the EGR if anyone has the details for how to do this. Are there any further effects or does it just remove a potential problem?

The reason for asking is due to the EGR getting choked up on SWMBO's 1.9 tdi. The engine mgmt light comes on, VW want something like £900 for a new one or £200 to clean the old one out and the forums warn that even doing that might leave you with a faulty one. Another option is to remove it - using either an Allard or Darkside delete kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allard-1-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2d618398. But - if you remove it you then have to map it out of the ECU so it's a real can of worms for doing on a daily driver.

Of course the cheap option is to clean it out with a brush and brake cleaner..... but what are the options for the 100?

I did it about 400 miles back and must say have seen some improvements.

Better acceleration in 1st and second and it may well be coincidence but a decrease in fuel consumption even though its just been on one tank. Further time will tell. It took a good couple of days to notice any difference but I guess that was the ecu doing it's thing and re-calibrating.

So far no regrets or down sides that I can see.

I did it about 400 miles back and must say have seen some improvements.

Better acceleration in 1st and second and it may well be coincidence but a decrease in fuel consumption even though its just been on one tank. Further time will tell. It took a good couple of days to notice any difference but I guess that was the ecu doing it's thing and re-calibrating.

So far no regrets or down sides that I can see.

What did you do - blank it off or remove all the plumbing and EGR itself? Any electrical gremlins as a result?

That VW electrical stuff makes me wary.....

And a decrease in fuel consumption?

Yes decrease in fuel consumption ie using less fuel per mile.

All I did was remove the T and small hose to the egr vacuum actuator. I then undid the one bolt holding the egr vacuum solenoid twitted it slightly and then connected the hose back on.

It's the easy way to do the mod as my car had the water cooled system on the egr so it means not only blanking off the egr pipe but also sorting the pipes out.

I will get around to it at some point but not right now

IIRC on VWs you can simply map the EGR out without having physically remove anything.... May be worth an enquiry

Yes decrease in fuel consumption ie using less fuel per mile.

All I did was remove the T and small hose to the egr vacuum actuator. I then undid the one bolt holding the egr vacuum solenoid twitted it slightly and then connected the hose back on.

It's the easy way to do the mod as my car had the water cooled system on the egr so it means not only blanking off the egr pipe but also sorting the pipes out.

I will get around to it at some point but not right now

Just looking at your first post and the photo - you took out the T piece, and the small hose to "EGR cut VSV". You then unbolted the solenoid marked "EGR cuct VSV", but what does "twitted it slightly" mean? :think:

IIRC on VWs you can simply map the EGR out without having physically remove anything.... May be worth an enquiry

Yes I think you can - but it still leaves you with the original choked up EGR which upsets the fuel consumption. That's the real issue - not only does it light up the EML it makes it use more fuel. Sigh.

Did this mod to my 100 over the weekend and boy what a different vehicle it has become. It really does make a considerable difference to its lacklustre and sluggish performance.

Rather more surprisingly though, the consumption average has begun to creep up from 22.1 to 25.3, normal driving (albeit faster now) !

Great mod Warren, thanks for the heads up boet !

Nice easy mod and one that seems to punch above its weight, IYKWIM.

Back