Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FTE Timing Belt Change

I Have done things like that to undo Crank bolts when nothing else works. got to watch whats in the area though.
stu

It's been more than 3 years since... -- I suppose this job went well?

I'm planning to do this during the spring, currently in the parts-ordering-mode. I suppose I will do the belt with all related parts, and also the water pump. Since the camshaft seal retainer comes off, it could be good to replace that seal too. Anything else to look out for, or any experience learned, that you would share?

Also planning to adjust the valves, clean the intake pipes and block the egr (I think it hasn't been done. (It's the first cruiser I didn't buy new)).
Probably makes sense to replace the injection pipes as well, before reaching 300 k km?

I did this 6 or so months ago for the first time ever. If your doing the water pump too a pulley puller was super useful to take the gear off. Also get a really good quality 8mm hex socket bit. My "Halfords Advanced" one sheared when undoing the one bolt that you need it for.

Wasn't brave enough to tackle the valve adjustment.

Attachments

• DSCF0710.jpg
    DSCF0710.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 2CambeltTopMark.jpg
    2CambeltTopMark.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 3CambeltBottomMark.jpg
    3CambeltBottomMark.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Cyd1InletExhAdjusters.jpg
    Cyd1InletExhAdjusters.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4Cyd1InjectorIn.jpg
    4Cyd1InjectorIn.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 30
Like the OP I too don't want to remove the cam cover for undoing the pulley. I've to remove the cam pulley to fit the 1 piece water pump, what's the best way to hold the pulley via its spokes in order to undo the pulley polt? Will an air gun loosen it easily without much need to hold the pulley at all?

Is it best to loosen the cam pulley bolt with the belt still on?

Any what torque is the cam pulley bolt? Edit: I since found the torque figure is 98nm,,, so I'm going to need something substantial that will lock the pulley, will loosening the bolt before removing the belt help stop the pulley moving? Is it safe to use an air gun but I'll still need some way of holding the cam when re-tightening the pulley bolt.

Maybe I should just remove the cam cover?

Last edited:
Back