Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FTE which oil?

l3n0x

Country Flag
hungary
Hi!

I know what the manual says.. 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in the winter. But lots of people are using 10w40, or 15w40. Some even 0w40, and reporting great results.

I currently have 10w40 (bought it like this), and I find the oil pressures a bit high when cold and a bit low when hot, so I can imagine that a w30 oil (that toyota recommends) would only worsen the hot pressure. As for the cold pressures I guess 0w or 5w would be better.

I'm leaning towards a 0w40 oil..

Any thoughts?

Hi!

I know what the manual says.. 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in the winter. But lots of people are using 10w40, or 15w40. Some even 0w40, and reporting great results.

I currently have 10w40 (bought it like this), and I find the oil pressures a bit high when cold and a bit low when hot, so I can imagine that a w30 oil (that toyota recommends) would only worsen the hot pressure. As for the cold pressures I guess 0w or 5w would be better.

I'm leaning towards a 0w40 oil..

Any thoughts?

In my humble opinion, I find the best thing to do is go with what the manufacturer recommend (in all things) as they have done the most R&D.

Personally, I use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 Fully Synthetic, all year round and I buy a 20l drum as it's cheaper than buying 3x 4l.

By the way, Toyota oil pressure guages are notoriously inaccurate, so just because the guage reads low dosn't necessarily mean the pressure is low, the only true way to check the oil pressure is with a guage on the engine.

Don't forget, the thinner the oil the quicker it gets to all the little nooks and crannies, and I don't mean 'thinner' bcause oil's worn out. :laughing-rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have stirred up the hornet's nest again, the subject of witch oil to use will go on and on and on for ever.

In my humble opinion, I find the best thing to do is go with what the manufacturer recommend (in all things) as they have done the most R&D.

Personally, I use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 Fully Synthetic, all year round and I buy a 20l drum as it's chaper than buying 3x 4l.

By the way, Toyota oil pressure guages are notoriously inaccurate, so just because the guage reads low dosn't necessarily mean the pressure is low, the only true way to check the oil pressure is with a guage on the engine.

Don't forget, the thinner the oil the quicker it gets to all the little nooks and crannies, and I don't mean 'thinner' bcause oil's worn out. :laughing-rolling:

Thank you!

Back