Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdft 3" exhaust upgrade

Is the exhaust flange on the turbo the same as 1hdft and 1hdt. XForce can't confirm if it fits 1Hdft.

Cheers

Is the exhaust flange on the turbo the same as 1hdft and 1hdt. XForce can't confirm if it fits 1Hdft.

Cheers
Sounds like your bragging. But yes, should be the same style dump pipe (I was told the opposite when ordered!). I would highly recommend replacing dump pipe nuts and gasket. Note that the exhaust hangars supplied by Xforce are very basic and a bit crap - but solid. For my 1HDT the hangers needed various spacer combinations for the exhaust to not rub on the chassis etc. Nothing very technical, but still a bit of pain. I have a 4 inch lift and 315's - the rear final section of the exhaust hangs lower than my after market rear bumper - but looks the goods!. If your cruiser was standard with no lift then the final rear section of the exhaust probably sits lower than OEM - was keen to see what @Grimbo found!

[Edit - now with pic to give a sense of how low the exhaust hangs, should this be of use to anyone considering xforce!]

1711481247235.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like your bragging. But yes, should be the same style dump pipe (I was told the opposite when ordered!). I would highly recommend replacing dump pipe nuts and gasket. Note that the exhaust hangars supplied by Xforce are very basic and a bit crap - but solid. For my 1HDT the hangers needed various spacer combinations for the exhaust to not rub on the chassis etc. Nothing very technical, but still a bit of pain. I have a 4 inch lift and 315's - the rear final section of the exhaust hangs lower than my after market rear bumper - but looks the goods!. If your cruiser was standard with no lift then the final rear section of the exhaust probably sits lower than OEM - was keen to see what @Grimbo found!
Bragging?

I've a 2" lift with 33's so should be ok. Thanks for the info !!

I also can't justify the shipping from Australia. The Legendex and Torquit sound lovely but nearly $500 for postage.
look at folks returning to Ireland with shipping containers. If you're not in a hurry can be very cheap delivery. Its what I did for new SS exhaust system from Manta. PM for more info

Not got any further with this.... I can't share the pictures they sent me but the pics confirm what we both think that the rear section is lower than OE....which seems daft seeing as the first time you go backwards in some deep mud or the like you'll stuff the pipe with crap or worse bend it.... be great to see some real world pictures .

Wonder has anyone done a side exit exhaust, should be fairly easy to fabricate. Would exhaust fumes be an issue though?

Wonder has anyone done a side exit exhaust, should be fairly easy to fabricate. Would exhaust fumes be an issue though?
Several have as it's easy ...the worst or most complicated bit of the system on an 80 is getting it to run nicely over the rear axle and exit correctly.... not sure fumes would be an issue when driving along but may be if sitting in traffic of slow off road sections with the window down....

Presumably if it's exiting behind the back wheel you might as well exit out the rear as normal... or am I missing something?

FWIW I did have a side exit on my old RR Classic for a while, which came out just in front of the back wheel - no issue with fumes, but I did crush it off-road and reverted to a normal rear-exit.

Presumably if it's exiting behind the back wheel you might as well exit out the rear as normal... or am I missing something?

The heat from the exhaust heats the tyre up and increases the tyre pressure. this can only be detected if you have a TPMS system in place but it really does happen.

Didn't someone on here have damage to tyre from hot exhaust exiting from in front ?

If you do a side exit make sure it exits behind the wheel.
Strangely our 1943 Dodge WC52 does exactly this but exit is in front of the rear wheel...by a couple of feet ....after 1000's of miles of a 6 cylinder petrol engine converting fuel to noise we have had no issue with increased tyre temp on that side.... next time we are out for a run I'll try the infra red temp gun on it and see if it registers any difference....
I can't really see a side exit causing a problem.... most big AG tractors now have very powerful cooling fans and engines that have side covers to make the air run along under the cab and exit towards the rear wheels...this air flow helps cool the trans but given the amount of heat a hardworking engine is generating with little forward speed this can warm the rear tyres considerably...most also have TPMS and we don't see any issue.
I would think airflow at even 30mph would be enough to stop any issue on a vehicle unless the exhaust was aimed straight at the tyre.... look where many truck exhausts exit.... unless it's a Scania V8 in which case straight through and straight up is the answer....we all know " you're never late in a V8 " ;-)

Strangely our 1943 Dodge WC52 does exactly this but exit is in front of the rear wheel...by a couple of feet ....after 1000's of miles of a 6 cylinder petrol engine converting fuel to noise we have had no issue with increased tyre temp on that side.... next time we are out for a run I'll try the infra red temp gun on it and see if it registers any difference....
I can't really see a side exit causing a problem.... most big AG tractors now have very powerful cooling fans and engines that have side covers to make the air run along under the cab and exit towards the rear wheels...this air flow helps cool the trans but given the amount of heat a hardworking engine is generating with little forward speed this can warm the rear tyres considerably...most also have TPMS and we don't see any issue.
I would think airflow at even 30mph would be enough to stop any issue on a vehicle unless the exhaust was aimed straight at the tyre.... look where many truck exhausts exit.... unless it's a Scania V8 in which case straight through and straight up is the answer....we all know " you're never late in a V8 " ;-)
Is it not

"you're never late in a straight"

Now I think about it most Lotus 7 style cars also have side pipes and vent in front of the back tyre. My Westfield did and I don't recall ever hearing issues with this either.

Mine exits in front of the rear wheel, and yes it does heat & increase the tyre pressure by a couple of psi on a looong run.
pressures increase far more if doing a long drive in a hot climate with the sun on one side,
also a lot of braking on hills / mountains heat the rims considerably, which must also increase the tyre pressures, so going back to the original question, I don’t think & have never noticed a difference that mattered with my 3" side exit in front of the rear wheel

Back