Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hz build making me cry

Swifty

Country Flag
australia
well, where do i start. about 4 months ago i blew my engine up. unintentionally of course, however that opened up the door to fitting a genuine Toyota CT-26 turbo off the 1HD-T engine. i was originally going to just fit a new cylinder head and be done with it because the 6 pre comp chambers had cracks in them. however i re-considered my options and decided to do everything, pump included. the vehicle has only done 280,000kms. i asked an engine re-conditioner to fit all 1HD-T internals into my 1HZ with my original cylinder head and 6x new pre comp chambers, as to allow for the extra load from the turbo. well what a can of worms. cylinder bores were also machined .6mm if my memory serves me well due to scoring. that all being done the engine was re-fitted in (by a qualified mechanic) went to start and it would not start. apon further investigation we found that the engine had little compression. well below specs. after checking timing and other things the issues was identified as the pistons. the 1HD-T pistons being a direct injected engine have pre comp chambers in the pistons and my engine having pre comp chambers in the head....well no more needs to be said. that problem was rectified. loads of compression now. still wont start. double checked timing crank to pump and pump to cam. all good. fuel getting to injectors not a lot of smoke out the exhaust. pulled the injector pump off to double check parts fitted and operation. all were working fine. even bench tested the pump. everything is working as it should. all timing marks line up. the only way the engine will run and when i say run i mean rough, very rough, is when the pump timing is retarded to the max which suggests that the pump to cam timing is out. triple checked all timing. tried moving the timing belt 1 tooth either way just to eliminate it. wound engine over with ratchet. valve makes contact with piston. im tossing up with the idea that the 1HZ and 1HD-T camshafts are different maybe? two engine re-conditioners in town are absolute stumped. fuel compression and air we have plenty of each yet it will will not start. things just dont go wrong with this engine.

Is there a way to check 'spill timing'? This is the timing of the injection and the only engine I have done it on is a single cylinder Lister. IIRC it involved removing a small part from the pump and rotating the engine until the fuel stopped at the injector pipe and checking that this corresponds with the correct timing marks. Maybe there is something about this in the FSM?

Trouble is you would need to time the pump to timing marks for a direct injection engine not an indirect, which could be where the problem lies as, and I'm only guessing here, i would imagine timing would be different for each and why your retardation of the pump starts to make it work. Like I say, just a guess but might be the start of where to look.

Last edited:
FSM page EM20 onwards for injection timing.

Too late now , but Engines Australia sell turbo pistons for the 1HZ. Did you use 1HD T conrods? The engine reconditioners should be able to tell if the cams are different by measuring them or you might be able to do it by measuring them in situ.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I may be wrong but I would have thought that the camshaft is going to be right as long as the timing is right (and seeing as it cranks over without turning the valves into scrap it sounds like this is correct). At least as far as getting the 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow' bit to work, which does as you have compression. My money is on injection timing which involves rotating the pump, or part of it, on its mountings with a service tool and dial gauge fitted according to the FSM.

The issue has been fixed. guys thanks for your input though. The harmonic balancer had slipped and the mark didn't line up correctly. so the timing was up the shit from the start or something like that. got it running a treat now. 12 pound boost and 400 degrees c at the dump pipe.

Back