Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ possible alternator regulator issues

james ware

Country Flag
australia
G'day all
Recently took our rig on an awesome road trip to undara lava tubes, copperfield gorge, sandy tait creek and chillagoe - bloody brilliant - totally recommend it. just heading out of sandy tait creek stopped to check out a reptile crossing the road and stupid me switched off the ignition. we couldn't get the old girl going again and at 4T we weren't pushing her too far to clutch her. a council guy came along and gave us a small tow and she clutched first go. we didn't have any more issues for the next couple of days until we had to start her up to pack her away. we managed to get a jump start off a retired auto electrician who put his multimeter probes in a couple of places and diagnosed the alternator regulator could be stuffed. the alternator itself was only replaced about 10000kms ago. can i get some opinions on this please.
Although i'm not a mechanic or an auto electrician, can i just buy the part and replace it myself. can i also get some opinions on this please
Cheers

Can't of been a genuine one if it's failed after 10000ks.
Its normally the rectifier that needs replacing. 10 min job once the alternator is on the bench.
Might even be able to do it on the 80, I've never tried.

Seconded but the plug contacts on the back may need attending too. Now that's the "plug" on the end of the wire and the "socket" on the alternator. A bit of WD40 and a wiggle might confirm you have a problem there but it is possible to take the plug on wire to bits and clean and close up the contacts very slightly but remember to photo the wires first to make sure they go back in the plug in the right order.
You're so very lucky to live in a country where you can still do some exploring without having to catch a plane or ship.
Good luck.

Can't of been a genuine one if it's failed after 10000ks.
Its normally the rectifier that needs replacing. 10 min job once the alternator is on the bench.
Might even be able to do it on the 80, I've never tried.

thanks mate - very much appreciated

Seconded but the plug contacts on the back may need attending too. Now that's the "plug" on the end of the wire and the "socket" on the alternator. A bit of WD40 and a wiggle might confirm you have a problem there but it is possible to take the plug on wire to bits and clean and close up the contacts very slightly but remember to photo the wires first to make sure they go back in the plug in the right order.
You're so very lucky to live in a country where you can still do some exploring without having to catch a plane or ship.
Good luck.

thanks mate - very much appreciated

Back