Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ to 1HD-FTE conversion

BDK52

Country Flag
australia
Hi Everyone

I found a low km (96k) - 2002 HZJ105 GXL 100 series at a very good price (with trade in). It has been a very very well kept car; fully maintained with logbook services; 1 owner and no 4x4 as such just van towing.

I have read and been told that the factory turbo engine (1HD-FTE) is the better option due to the power. I will want to tow a van in the next 2-3 years so we are looking for the "retirement car" to travel in. Again I have read and been told installing an after market turbo on the HZJ105 doesn't always work.

All the HDJ100 vehicles I have found to date with these low km's and in this condition are just out of my price range.

Given the fact that this car is in such excellent condition with low km's I feel it would make a very good platform so I would be prepared to fit a new 1HDT-FTE engine. With what I have found out to date, a 1HDT-FTE engine will be around $15K which should bring the cost for the car plus the new engine to $41k which is OK. The conversion would be done a little further down the track may in 12 months.

My question to those more experienced than I is: Is this a sound strategy? What are the pitfalls of going down this track.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back