Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hz turbo concerns

931hz

Country Flag
australia
G'day, recently purchased a 93 with aftermarket turbo 1hz.
Properly tuned the cars only done 200,000.

I've been reading and have learned the pistons and big end bearings are somewhat weaker once an after market turbo is bolted on..

I'm looking for advice on what I should do..

The guy had it at 15 psi so I'm going to wind that down for a start.

In regards to swapping out pistons for stronger ones as seen on engineaustralia with ceramic coating should o be proactive and look at resolving this issue before travelling?

What else should I be looking at for reliability of this engine.

Cheers guys

I'm not an expert on the 1HZ engine, but pistons on a naturally aspirated engine are normally designed for lower compression than a turbo engine. So when you bolt on a aftermarket turbo those pistons are now experiencing higher compression due to the increase pressure created. This is why generally speaking people recommend changing the pistons/rings.

It really depends on this engine and what people have done. Some engines are designed strong from factory and can take on a turbo or more boost and can handle it on stock internals. Some need to be upgraded. I'd speak with someone who knows this engine well and see what they say. Sorry if I wasn't much help!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll find an expert and give them a call

From 10 to 13 psi you'll have no problem with the 1HZ engine.Thats factory specs. Anything over 13 psi needs tuning. This is really reliable engine and it really can take alot of abuse before anything goes wrong. I have a TLC73 with blown 1HZ-T engine in my backyard waiting for attention (not my LC). The guy blew the engine last year in "Breslau" rallyraid competition with...23 psi (1.6 bar) on the turbo. If you keep it in the 10-13 psi range you're OK!
Good luck!:)

From what I understand, one issue is forcing warm air from the turbo onto a head that is not designed to take the temperature. Most owners install an egt gauge (exhaust gas temperature) with the idea to ensure that you don't over cook the engine.

Worth looking at one of those with a warning alarm in my opinion.

Back