Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kzte help

Clinten92

Country Flag
australia
So guys i have a 2001 dualcab hilux with a 1kzte engine. I have recently added a Turbo smart boost Tee to it but no matter how much I wind it up it won't go past 10p boost. Does anyone have any ideas or or has come across this issue before? Motor has 209xxx on the clock and does not have a chip or mechanical pump it's all stock.

Here are some pics how I have it setup up and where I have boost gauge hooked up to.

images (6).jpeg 20190712_211604.jpg 20190712_211618.jpg 20190713_093024.jpg

Last edited:
I think i had this problem and cured it by swapping the pipes around , maybe i mixed them up when i was putting things back together , memory is vague but i do remember slapping some masking tape on each pipe clearly marked actuator and turbo on my second attempt , its nigh on impossible to see which goes where on the 90 series when its reassembled fit to drive !

A faulty gauge is common especially if its a cheap one , I put a T in the actuator line to get my readings .

About 12psi boost is your limit before the ecu will recognize a "fault" go into limp mode .

Boost serves no purpose without more fuel so you need to turn that up a tiny bit to get the benefits of more boost , if you haven't yet done that then its possible you will decide 10psi is enough once you have .

Is there anyway to increase to fuel since it is EFI, Or do i have to add a chip/mech pump to increase fuel as either option is very expensive. As I'm only looking for a little more power I don't justify spending thst amou of money for the gains im looking for.

Cheers

Its on the forum somewhere , but theres a little cap on top of your fuel pump that just pulls off with pliers , under it you will find a 6mm nut locked in place with a 12mm nut (i think) unlock and turn the 6mm nut just a couple of mm clockwise lock it and go for a drive .

You might want to turn it up somemore but once you know how it takes like 2 minutes to do . DO NOT turn it up too much , someone ended up with a runaway engine set to self detonate by over doing it and saved the engine only because he was quick minded enough to block the intake and starve the engine of air until it stalled .

As a guide you do not want a smoking exhaust , there is no benefit to overfueling a visible cough of black smoke on a cold start which quickly clears and your good .

Ok thanks will have a look at it in the morning and be careful and only adjust a little at a time and test drive.

So how much of a change will this make power wise is it noticeable? Also after adding the more fuel trick should I also adjust boost as far as I can before it goes into limp mode ?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to understand it all and wanna make sure I do it right the first time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its not like putting rocket fuel in the tank and the way i did it was real touchy feely , if i was unconvinced the last nudge up gave any power increase i'd put it back where it was for a week , get used to driving it again then have another go at nudging it up , if you can't feel a difference then your just chucking fuel away for no purpose .

I never put mine in limp mode , 12psi , which incidentally the gauge needle will only hit for a slit second if you stare at it because thats when the wastegate opens dumping pressure with the right amount of fuel makes a different for sure but how much of a difference i can't say because its all mixed up with my adding a 3" turboback exhaust and intercooler .

The exhaust on its own made a massive difference because the downpipe on our 90 series 1kz-te is very restrictive , i've no idea what its like on your Hilux .

It's currently has a new 3inch straight through turbo back exhaust on it and a new set of rego injectors. Also currently isn't intercooled but looking to do that soon when funds allow it to happen

I'm not looking for huge gains just a increase to throttle response and rpm range. So if turning the 6mm nut a few mm at a time, so just on start up it blows a little black smoke and shouldn't when driving is that correct ?

Yep

My swb 90 with a 4" lift steel front bumper and winch will wheel spin on dry tarmac with 33" tyres in 2nd gear if i'm over enthusiastic with my right boot :cool:

Well hopefully thst makes a difference to power and rpm range cause I dint wanna spend the money on a chip or mech pump for want I wanna try and achieve

No you have a different spill control valve so i would guess a digital tuning box is your only way to increase fuel . Its worth searching the Hilux forums though in case yours can be adjused ?

I think my only options are to either chip it or do a mech pump swap. From what I've been reading around on other forums and questions I have been asking

The mechanical pump is real hard to find here in the UK , be nice to have but but i've more than enough power as is .

On the bright side our engines though mechanically the same obviously have different electrics so maybe you can boost past 12psi and maybe the pump will compensate with more fuel automatically . Its a case of try it and see i guess .

14.6 PSI is the actual ECU cutout. I'm boosting around 15PSI max, and have a bleed valve set at 14 PSI prior to the MAP sensor so that the ECU never sees beyond that.

Check your T-boost with a compressor and guage to make sure it's holding desired boost levels. Like Shayne said, make sure your boost gauge is actually working well as well.

A well tuned EFI system will actually make more power than a mechanical setup. Do some research on chips.

Its a brand new VDO gauge so i don't see why it would be faulty when it's reading pressure. And not matter how much I change the boost T I can't even get the car to go into limp mode whatsoever. It's like it not even there, I've also blocked one of th3 lines to the waste gate to see if maybe that had failed but it's still opens at 10psi so I have no idea what is going on. I have checked the lines maybe 10 times and it's all set up correctly

Turbosmart have a good rep it seems but i guess theres always a chance you got a faulty one , its only a sprung ballbearing so maybe yours came with a weak spring ?

Question for Beau , do you really think its worth boosting that high when you can't increase fuel to match ?

While experimenting i turned my fuel down as low as it would go and the truck ran fine , but the top end rev range power was gone because it ran so lean of fuel that booting it to overtake quick at 70mph was a no go , i'm not sure if it would go past 70 .

As is if i floor it at 70 i'm doing 90 in a few seconds - even with my trailer hooked up .

The only other possibility I can think of is your waste gate flap is in bad condition and isn't sealing 100% which is leaking boost. Seems unlikely though as there turbos are known to last forever, especially in stock format.

Shayne, the ECU is programmed to fuel up to 14.6psi so I don't see why not. On top of this, my fuel screw on the pump is turned up too. I actually noticed what increased my turbo's PSI pressure was from porting the exhaust side turbo manifold. I'm not running a boost T on the turbo. It is purely waste gate pressure controlled that has it MAX running 15 PSI. I too noticed more "top end" performance gains with turning the fuel screw. On stock form I'd max out around 100 on the flats, but can get to 110 now with the increase screw turned in.

I wanted to add that chip I gave to you on it, but didn't find the time, and don't have the supporting mods to really take advantage of it.

My 90 is on a sorn and being neglected so i haven't even looked at adding the tunit yet , i don't need any more power but i'm still curious how it might effect things .

Back