Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 Stroke oil?

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I know adding 2 stroke oil to a diesel helps lubricate parts other oil doesn't reach (apologies to Carlsberg) but would it have any benefits in a petrol engine?

Probably not unless it's a 2 stroke Chas. Not thinking of adding it to the Jaaaag are we?

Adding 2 stroke to diesel is supposed to lube the IP and help compensate for the low sulphur in Derv, allegedly. In a modern ECU controlled 4 stroke petrol engine I would’nt go anywhere near it. For starters it’ll probably write off the cat(s) not to mention the numerous emission control sensors. It was a sad day when 2 stroke bike racing came to an end. The exhaust note and the smell of the Castrol R made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Poxy emission regs.

Probably not unless it's a 2 stroke Chas. Not thinking of adding it to the Jaaaag are we?
I was Chris but wanted to know if it was safe, I've got a 20ltr container in the garage.

I’m with Towpack on this. It will destroy your cats. At the very least. Don’t give it any ideas of breaking down ok! It’s parentage is, somewhat associated with a certain brand that likes to break down. I’ll say no more!! :shh:

I’m with Towpack on this. It will destroy your cats. At the very least. Don’t give it any ideas of breaking down ok! It’s parentage is, somewhat associated with a certain brand that likes to break down. I’ll say no more!! :shh:
Just behind the drivers seat there is a wind deflector which on mine has disappeared probably got sucked out by the wind, I found a replacement on eBay for £99, but before buying I checked with a Jag dealer, £198+VAT :wtf:, and I thought Toyota spares were expensive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The days of mechanical engine wear are over so no point in adding anything to extend life. Just another snake oil myth in my book.

I just put a new (higher compression) 7.5:1 piston in my 1958 500cc Ariel 'VH' bike. The +20 bore was de-glazed with a hone at the time.

I'm adding a very small amount of 2-stroke oil to the fuel to act as an upper cylinder lubricant until the new rings have bedded in.

DSCN8701.JPG

Bob.

The days of mechanical engine wear are over so no point in adding anything to extend life. Just another snake oil myth in my book.

Injection pump is lubricated by the fuel, so modern low sulphur fuel has less lubricating properties for older injection pump design, just my opinion of course.

I just put a new (higher compression) 7.5:1 piston in my 1958 500cc Ariel 'VH' bike. The +20 bore was de-glazed with a hone at the time.

I'm adding a very small amount of 2-stroke oil to the fuel to act as an upper cylinder lubricant until the new rings have bedded in.

View attachment 156538

Bob.

That Ariel is a thing of beauty Bob, I like that a lot :thumbup:

View attachment 156538

Bob.
I think this is quite common among owners of old bikes. I was talking to a couple at the NW200 last week and they both did the same with their Nortons. Special “upper cylinder” potions are available but a smidge of 2 stroke amounts to exactly the same thing IMO and works out far cheaper:thumbup:

Iv'e been adding a couple of glugs every time i refuel my old Smiley face Transit for years, runs better, quieter & better consumption, is a diesel though.

Have you ever tried it Frank? I was of the same opinion before I tried it, I was amazed the first time I did, it really makes the engine sound and feel smoother.

View attachment 156538

Bob.
Lovely old bike, there's something about a big single.

Have you ever tried it Frank? I was of the same opinion before I tried it, I was amazed the first time I did, it really makes the engine sound and feel smoother.
This is in the cruiser I take it? Out of curiosity, how much do you put in?

No I've never tried it Chas. Not mentioned in the owners hand book and as I don't have a relevant qualification I just put fuel in the fuel tank.

Just a note to use mineral 2 stroke oil not synthetic

Just a note to use mineral 2 stroke oil not synthetic
Why's that? I heard that synt is better at staying suspended, mixing easier. So I use about 100 ml synt 2-stroke per tank.
Unless I use 2nd-gen biodiesel (synthesized) which lubes better, which you actually can hear.

Back