Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 x 80 Series Alloy Wheels

Scott

Wanted - 2 x Genuine Toyota 80 series alloy wheels, 16" as fitted to the later 12 valve models, using the beveled nuts (not the later washer type nuts).

Reasonable condition preffered, although peeling lacquer won't be a problem as I intend to get them refinished. Not really interested in heavily corroded wheels.

Anyone got two that they'd like to sell?

Saw a set on gumtree that might be of some help. Sorry but can't find the link on my phone.

Errr, nope. :roll:

Not happening. :naughty:

Chris

Chris said:
Errr, nope. :roll:

Not happening. :naughty:

Chris
Chris - yours would be far to nice for my intended use, I wouldn't dream of using them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Gav :thumbup: Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye on it. Judging by the year (1996) I suspect it might be a 24 valve rim, that uses the later washer type nuts?

Scott, don't want to hijack this, but interesting re the wheel nuts. I have always known there were different nuts, but never new there were different wheels. Are these truly incompatible then? How can you tell by looking?

Chris

I think its the older style alloy wheel that has a conical insert in it that matches to the tapered nut without the washer. You can see it more clearly from the back of the wheel :ugeek:

As Gav has said really, but don't quote me on it.

The 16" wheels fitted to the 12 valve models use the conical nuts to centralise and clamp the wheel to the hub. The later wheels as fitted to the 24 valve models, use the later style nuts that have the washer. The wheel is centralised by the protruding section of the nut that locates into the holes, but the clamping force that holds the wheel to the hub, is transmitted by the washer contacting with the flat surface on the rim.

Just to confuse matters, and if I remember correctly, the 24 valve washer type nuts do have the conical end on them. This could be to allow them to mount a spare steel wheel, which requires the conical nut to locate and clamp it into place.

The 12/24 valve distinction is just my working knowledge on the issue, and shouldn't be regarded as fact. I'm sure someone else might be able to shed some more info on the specifics.

If you mix the different type alloys and nuts, the alloy wheel will not be properly clamped and centralised onto the hub, and there is a strong risk of losing a wheel.

Scott said:
As Gav has said really, but don't quote me on it.

The 16" wheels fitted to the 12 valve models use the conical nuts to centralise and clamp the wheel to the hub. The later wheels as fitted to the 24 valve models, use the later style nuts that have the washer. The wheel is centralised by the protruding section of the nut that locates into the holes, but the clamping force that holds the wheel to the hub, is transmitted by the washer contacting with the flat surface on the rim.

Just to confuse matters, and if I remember correctly, the 24 valve washer type nuts do have the conical end on them. This could be to allow them to mount a spare steel wheel, which requires the conical nut to locate and clamp it into place.

The 12/24 valve distinction is just my working knowledge on the issue, and shouldn't be regarded as fact. I'm sure someone else might be able to shed some more info on the specifics.

If you mix the different type alloys and nuts, the alloy wheel will not be properly clamped and centralised onto the hub, and there is a strong risk of losing a wheel.
Any one seen Chas any where? :lol:

Gra

Graham said:
Any one seen Chas any where? :lol: Gra
I'm here and yes I do have a set of four ally wheels available, I didn't respond because I didn't think Scott would want to take all four and I didn't want to be with two I couldn't shift

Cheers for the assistance guys :thumbup: Karl has come up trumps, and a pair will be on their way shortly.

Back